Existing NX-8E upgrade

jj8111

I installed a NX-8E panel about a year a ago. Its been working well. I have a speaker, 3 wireless motion sensors and 5 wireless door sensors and two wired keypads.
I have decided to add 2 glass brakage sensors and 5 more door and window sensors so that every window and door on the first floor and basement will have its own sensor.

I want to be able to have the panel communicate using something other than the phone line.

Idealy I want the panel to send me sms messages when events take place, alarm tripped etc. etc.

I cant seem to find any info on how to do this. Can I:

use ethernet to do this by directly connecting my network to the panel with the tcp/ip add on?

Can I use the cellementary add on to do this?
will I need to pay for service?
what plans are available and from who for the cell service?

Thanks.
John

I've had an NX-8e for a few years now and this has been on my todo list as well. But I was just looking at the manual and I don't think it's possible to do it natively from the panel.

I think the celemetry module merely serves as a phone line back if the phone line is down... aka the bad guys cut it. So I think it will still only call your monitoring service and doesn't know anything else about the cell network.

I have my NX-8E connected to my PC through the serial port... This is native to NX-8e so no add-ons are required.

I use Housebot for monitoring/controlling my home. The Housebot software has a "generic serial" device that allows you to read/write data from the serial port of your PC relatively easily. I have configured my NX-8e to send certain events to my PC. When my HA software (ie Housebot) receives data on the serial port, it starts a vbscript which decodes the NX-8e protocol and makes the corresponding changes in my home's status. That was the most tricky part since the NX-8e protocol is hex based.

Housebot has an email capability... (And this is the part I haven't gotten to yet) All I would need to do is configure HouseBot tp email my cell phone number with my event and it comes through as SMS on my phone.

The vbscript can probably be easily adapted for use with other programs that read/write com port data.

Tim

I installed a NX-8E panel about a year a ago. Its been working well. I have a speaker, 3 wireless motion sensors and 5 wireless door sensors and two wired keypads.
I have decided to add 2 glass brakage sensors and 5 more door and window sensors so that every window and door on the first floor and basement will have its own sensor.

I want to be able to have the panel communicate using something other than the phone line.

Idealy I want the panel to send me sms messages when events take place, alarm tripped etc. etc.

use ethernet to do this by directly connecting my network to the panel with the tcp/ip add on?

Thanks.
John
Look at nextalarm.com. Go to their websiste or just search "nextalarm" here on this forum. I am using it in 2 locations and it does almost everything you want to do. Yes you will need to pay for service but it is very reasonable.

Thanks.
John

Of course, if you have homeseer (home automation software) you can certainly do a lot more.

I agree with jasv John. I have HomeSeer and it ties into my Caddx NX8e systems (via the serial port). I love the fact I can perform voice announcements with door/windor closures, have an overview of my house with door/window/motion indicators, have my lights go on with my alarm, etc... Of course I do the usual text message/email notifications on an alarm (via HomeSeer).

Anyway you may want to look into some Home Automation software and explore the different capabilities/options that it will give you with your Caddx system. :)

BTW, welcome to CocoonTech. I can't believe we have gone over 3000 members and just now got a handle of "John" for this forum!

Back