Extending SAUX?

gcimmino

As noted in other posts, we're extending the M1 to an outbuilding.

We'll have multiple 4 wire smokes in the outbuilding and so I'm setting up separate power supply in the outbuilding, like an Elk-P112K, that will power the smokes, motions, etc.

SAUX off the Elk is special in that a smoke reset will momentarily interrupt power to reset the detectors. I doubt that I would want to run SAUX between buildings, so I'm thinking more of using a relay on an XOVR in the outbuilding to do the same function, but am not sure which rule would be used to trigger this.

Anyone know which Whenever corresponds to a smoke reset? Is it the same condition as Whenever Any Fire Alarm Cuts Off and use it to turn output X off for X seconds?

Anyone done this before and/or have any other methods to suggest?

Thanks

As noted in other posts, we're extending the M1 to an outbuilding.

We'll have multiple 4 wire smokes in the outbuilding and so I'm setting up separate power supply in the outbuilding, like an Elk-P112K, that will power the smokes, motions, etc.

SAUX off the Elk is special in that a smoke reset will momentarily interrupt power to reset the detectors. I doubt that I would want to run SAUX between buildings, so I'm thinking more of using a relay on an XOVR in the outbuilding to do the same function, but am not sure which rule would be used to trigger this.

Anyone know which Whenever corresponds to a smoke reset? Is it the same condition as Whenever Any Fire Alarm Cuts Off and use it to turn output X off for X seconds?

Anyone done this before and/or have any other methods to suggest?

Thanks

You can use a function key to trip the relay to reset the smokes in the outbuilding. If you want to do it automatically when you do a smoke reset then you could power a small relay from SAUX and when SAUX is off the relay opens and resets the outbuilding smk power feed.

You can use a function key to trip the relay to reset the smokes in the outbuilding. If you want to do it automatically when you do a smoke reset then you could power a small relay from SAUX and when SAUX is off the relay opens and resets the outbuilding smk power feed.

Thanks.

I was looking for an "automatic" solution, in that it piggy backs onto the Smoke Reset function of the M1.

The problem with the relay solution is to "extend it" between the buildings. However, if I have the relay at the main panel where SAUX is and have the relay output go into an M1 input, then I could sense that input/zone via rules and have the rule trigger the "remote" XOVR in the out building to switch the outbuilding smoke power.

That would both be automatic and solve the extension problem. It would be easier/fewer components if there was a condition in the M1 that was triggered on Smoke Reset that I could use directly.

Not to be a stick in the mud but how often do you expect the smoke alarms to go off and need resetting? I like the "F" key press on one of the keypads in the auxiliary building. You are probably going to want to walk over there anyway to check on the problem and a simple "F" key press tied to a bank of relays connected to the RS485 bus in the auxiliary building should do the trick.

Back