False Alarm Help...

jmed999

I have two motion detectors in my living room/dining room area.  They are in a cross zone pool.  They are both this type of wireless motion detectors...

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-119-60-511-02-95-iti-wireless-ds924i-pet-immune-pir.aspx

I got a call from Alarm relay today while I was at work stating the alarm was activated.  It turned out to be a false alarm.  

I do have a 10 pound dog that likes to bark at the UPS guy and runs and jumps on the couches.  He does this nearly daily but hasn't set off the alarm since it was installed months ago and shouldn't with 2 motions in a cross zone pool that are pet immune up to 40 pounds.  This is the 1st motion false alarm we have received since we set up the cross zone pool.

Any guesses as to what set the alarm off?  How can I prevent this from happening again?  

Thanks!

It just downed on me to check the tracking on my packages that were delivered today.  They were delivered at 5:06 the same time as the alarm.  So my 10 pound violated both motion sensors.

He jumps on the couches and is very active when someone comes to the front door and I guess at that height (on the couches)  even a 10 pound dog can violate the 40 pound pet immune sensors.

How do I prevent this now that I know it's my dog?  That's why I put the motions in a cross zone....I guess that didn't solve my problem.

Any ideas?

I believe the pet immune sensors work by restricting the back some distance off the floor. Perhaps restricting restricting the dog from the couch could help.

Restricting the dog wouldn't be an option really. Maybe I could just use a few glass break sensors and ditch the motions? Of course if someone pried a window open without breaking it I would be screwed.

Hmmm

Get rid of the couch and sit on the floor on some confi pillows... :mellow:

Has anyone ever used optical sensors like stores use to detect someone coming in front door?

A suggestion would be relocating the 2nd motion, or adding a 3rd in a corner that would not catch the dog jumping on the sofa.

jmed999 said:
I have contact door sensors so no need for a door optical sensors.
I meant across the windows. If someone broke the glass or stepped through, it would trigger the alarm.

The DS9241 has a vertical adjustment screw.  It is the screw on the right when looking at the board.  Loosen it and push the circuit board down a little.  This will raise the area the sensors are looking at and that will ideally be higher than where the dog is jumping.

Back