Feedback on "Security 101" collateral?

IVB

Well, i've gotten through the first dozen slides in the ppt for the class i'm giving my neighbors about setting up a security system. It's nearly 2am, and i've got an offsite all day tomorrow, so i thought i'd post it up here for y'all to read through. The class isn't until 6/9, so i've got some time, but as you've given me great feedback already I figured i'd keep it going.

You'll note that there's nothing in here about HA or software - that'll just overload them, and isn't the primary objective of this session. Given that this is meant to discuss just security, I thought I'd keep the content restricted there. But, I don't want to talk about security only panels as 1) I don't know much about them, and 2)I know some of these folks will want more soon enough.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think. Thanks for any and all assistance.

http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/temp/Intro_To_Security.pdf

IVB,

Excellent presentation! I'm sure the homeowners will get a lot out of it! Make sure you tell them to hold questions until after the presentation so your 75 minute presentation doesn't turn into a 4 hour ordeal :)

I know it was late when you finished and it's tough to catch everything, but here are some suggestions that you may or may not want to include:

* Page 3, Bullet 2 that starts with :"There are many valid options you have, and what I'll show you in detail is only one of them, which is the one I chose"

You may want to rephase to something like "There are many security options out there. I'll show you in detail the option I chose".

* Page 4, under heading of Fire/Safety - Spell out Carbon Monoxide (CO) for the less informed.

* On page 11, under option #1, Cons: Add "Unlikely to have home automation capability"

* On page 11, under option #2 & 3, Pros: Add "May allow for home automation capability"

* Page 12, under ElkRP setup. Incomplete sentence. In addition, you may want to add that the "tweaking" can be fun and rules can be changed easily as your lifestyle changes.

* You may want to include (last page?) a list of suppliers and web sites with alarm information (cocoontech, automatedoutlet, etc)

Again, this is an excellent presentation and I wish you well with it. Can others here use it at homeowners meetings with your permission? We have an active HOA in my neighborhood who would really enjoy this type of information.

My highest regards,
HoustonFirefox

IVB,

Very nice I hope everyone learners a little from it, I only have two comments.....
Slide 8 talks about door but you picture shows motion sensors
In the section that you talk about Pro, Pro/DIY, DIY you dont mention the importance of getting the installer codes ect to
expand the system. OR add functionality.... I think you need to highlight that in the only pro installs they need to come
back to make changes or additions, or change options.

Soooo tired, why the hell did i stay up that late. Thanks for all the comments, i'll get those in tonight. I also realized I totally spaced on the automation bits, as I was waiting for that marketing collateral from Elk. I think i'll have a page dedicated to "What can an Elk do that ADT cannot do".

FYI - this ppt is FAR from done, many more pages yet to go. That's just as far as I could get from 9pm->2am :)

* You may want to include (last page?) a list of suppliers and web sites with alarm information (cocoontech, automatedoutlet, etc)

Yep on the last page, i'll be listing a "what next/where to buy/etc". I'll have:
- CT, with links to the mfr subforums
- suppliers, with both AO & techhome
- links to Elkproducts.com

Anything else? I was thinking about giving AO/Techhom/Elk the oppty to put 1-2 bullets in here for any guidance. No promo codes, i don't want this to come across salesy at all given that it will be a lasting document.

Can others here use it at homeowners meetings with your permission? We have an active HOA in my neighborhood who would really enjoy this type of information
Absolutely, once it's done, it'll be out there in the ether for all to use. You'll note that HOA's are exactly the target audience for this, hence all the "fisher-price" level diagrams explaining what a circuit is. It's my belief that in retrospect, nothing i've done with the Elk was really that hard, but yet I was so freaked out by the idea I had to start this nervous nellie thread about it.

Vive Le Elk!

V2 uploaded, same link. And yes, I just realized the image on page 16 is over the text, but I need sleep...

Dang man thats sweet! You put alot of work into that for sure...

The only thing I would like to add is more technical information about the various system sensors.

Passive infrared motions vs. microwave motions vs. dual technology motions

Where NOT to mount the various types.

(push dual technology, much harder to botch)

Ionization smoke detectors vs photoelectric smoke detectors

add in heat detectors, and rate of rise. Also where to mount them and equally important where NOT to mount them.

In becoming licensed to install these systems this is a much greater factor then the actual control panel used.

---------------

Somewhat unrelated, physical security outside of electronic. I would explain to them the major no-nos in securing their home. Tree cover, inadequate lighting... the free/simple stuff, nobody can make money on so you don't hear as much about it.

Hi IVB:

Is your presentation for the general public, or aimed at "technical" oriented people? I'm thinking for the general public, a self install will be to much for them! Most people don't understand how a simple switch works, let alone install their own security system. Of course they have an option for a professional to do it, which is what I would suggest they do.

Anyway you might want to emphasize:

1. List or contact some professional installers to get an idea of their pricing and requirements for products they install in your area as these type of questions are surely going to be asked.

Thanks for the post, I'll answer your question in this thread as it's the one with the ppt.

I agree completely with you, and I've tried to write the ppt to account for that. It's a Security 101 class, aimed towards those in the general public who don't realize they could do this. As we're in Northern California, there are many more "handyman" and "technical" people than anywhere else. But, this whole security thing seems like such magic that we're typically scared away. If you look at slides 11-14, you'll see a list of options, with 2 of them being "hire a pro" and one being DIY. Slide 14 will have a list of local installers. I intentionally put the options on slide 11, and force people to listen to the first 10 slides because I want people to be educated on how this works.

Out of 800 folks who've seen the request, 35 have RSVP'ed. That's 5%, so we've already weeded out most of the folks who wouldn't want to do it.

There's also one issue I haven't mentioned: We've got some major "security pro" scam artists going around our neighborhood and preying on people's fears due to the 10 armed robberies in 10 weeks in what used to be a mega-yuppie/snooty neighborhood. I could go into details but net net they're basically just lying to people about what ADT/Sentry/BayAlarm can do, and selling them dubious systems at a ludicrous cost as a replacement. I also want to educate people so they can defend against that.

One other thing you made me realize, I should put a big huge caveat on my option #3 (DIY) that says "THIS IS NOT FOR THE AVERAGE JOE".

Dang man thats sweet! You put alot of work into that for sure...

The only thing I would like to add is more technical information about the various system sensors.

Passive infrared motions vs. microwave motions vs. dual technology motions

Where NOT to mount the various types.

(push dual technology, much harder to botch)

Ionization smoke detectors vs photoelectric smoke detectors

add in heat detectors, and rate of rise. Also where to mount them and equally important where NOT to mount them.

In becoming licensed to install these systems this is a much greater factor then the actual control panel used.

---------------

Somewhat unrelated, physical security outside of electronic. I would explain to them the major no-nos in securing their home. Tree cover, inadequate lighting... the free/simple stuff, nobody can make money on so you don't hear as much about it.

Hmmm. I gotta think about that some more - 2 of the 3 options here are "hire a pro", so i'm wondering if that's content best left to a "Security 201/401" where they've already made a decision to DIY.

Besides, I gotta make Brandon/Brian do *something* for their $$ :)

Oh I agree, however this is the best way to kill scammers.

Once through the course they will know right off that 1 PIR motion isn't enough for their 2500 foot home.

The scammers don't like this, at all... The ADT guys want someone who just rolls over and doesn't point out short comings. Once educated they will be better equipped to deal with anyone or do it themselves.

I mean the ADT TV commercial is bogus, the home invader tripping their alarm buy breaking a window while the family is home... Thats not the way it works with ADT systems. Excellent firepower against the big guys, however they have to know some about how the stuff works to recognize that.

Ok, here's a thought: I could add an option #4 (technically the route I went down): DIY, but have a pro design out your system. I used toymaster to guide me on the baseline, including sensor placement etc.

I could add that, and give you/toymaster a 1 page appendix for "some thoughts if you DIY, contact one of us if you want design guidance".

I say you&TM as i'm trying to keep this as "non-salesy" as possible, and putting 2 firms per area is a good way to make it not seem like a glossy marketing paper.

Another issue might be a DIY version of the professional tools, and what tools you just basically must have.

Like say a broomstick with a Z made of coathanger taped to the end is an invaluable tool for pulling wires from window and door switches.

Also how to "size-up" an install from the outside.

If your roof line is almost vertical or at least very steep and single story, your install will be a breeze. If your home is 2 story and looks like a mushroom with a flat roof (I've been there, seriously!), you have a nightmare possibly not even wireable. Unfinshed basement or crawlspace under the home?

From the inside:

Also houses with a bunch of add-ons can cause problems. I as in one the other day where a previous roof system had collapsed onto the floor of the attic. This added a safety issue and restricted access, totally invisable from the outside.

People who go nutty with insulation... I've seen blown in that was 36-40" deep! Talk about a PITA to find your glowrod, good think I keep 72"ers. I usually don't carry a snow shovel though!

This is really key for a DIYer, as sometimes it's not even worth tring from a DIY point of view. A good installer can guess the difficulty very quickly.

If you have an existing alarm with wired door switches... Most could install sirens, motions and smokes on interior walls of a single story home. Keypads more difficult however still very DIY doable.

Ok, I put in what I hope are the final changes, except the list of installers. I want to send out the doc to the folks tomorrow night, so folks have a chance to skim it and make sure this is the type of meeting they want to attend.

CollinR/Toymaster: Haven't heard back from my emails to you about your desire to be in the deck. If I don't hear from you by 9pm PST tomorrow night, I'll assume silence means you'd prefer to be taken off the ppt.

Brandon/Martin: Haven't heard back from my emails to you about a list of installers. Same timing, If you're concerned about your installers getting spammed I can always call up Home Tech Solutions (45 miles away though) to get their partner list.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

Had the first session today, very interesting. Had 20 people show up, of them 10 had current contracts with ADT/Bay/etc, another 9 were going to get a pro to install, only 1 DIY'er. They all just wanted to be educated on what security systems were, how they worked, what types of options there were.

They were all duly impressed by the content of the powerpoint, and wanted me to pass their thanks on to those that helped write it. Understanding the very basics (circuits, landline and cellphone integration, phone line hardening, how various sensors work, etc) so they don't get snowed when they talk to folks. Apparently some folks have been getting ludicrous estimates and recommendations from integrators.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few go; about 25 folks missed today as they were busy, plus the head of the local community planning council and 2 neighboring crime councils are interested in teaching their residents about security, so it looks like this will get plenty of mileage. I'll keep that link updated with any revisions, already had 2 requests (1 slide on "questions to ask installers", blanking on the other). I'm still going to keep doing it for free as long as it's not >1x/month as charging $$ would just take something away from it. If any of you find your way to NorCal ping me and i'll let you know when the next one is.

Added a slide for Appendix A titled "things to remember" esp given that most folks are hiring this out. Anyone else see something I missed? (I just remembered about checking the EOLR location, and how it shouldn't be in the panel).

Oh oh, something even more important. I thought about specifically mentioning this to you personally via PM, however this really NEEDS to be in the ppt.

Got kids?

DO FIRE DRILLS!!!

It's stupid easy to do... You can make it into a game as well.

Make sure and assign the family a regroup location. In my case, a no parking sign on the street out front and maybe 200' from the house. Everyone knows thats where you go, and wait until FD arrives. The kids do not need to cross the street to get there.

Combine this with some obsticles, ie you with a red towl representing flame, grey towl representing smoke. They get too close they get popped, force them to think. They cannot use the same method of egress repeatedly. To initiate the test, I suggest you use a conventional smoke detector and use it's test functions. Then it's up to you as to when to randomly press the button. Also make sure and cover the stay low to avoid smoke, testing door knob temp...

Like I said it's a stupid easy to do, but most families just don't actually do it.

Not really "security" related but IMHO equal or greater importance and it costs you nothing! :D

Back