FORM C RELAY

unknown

anybody here is using the HAI OMNI Controllers? Just wondering how does the HAI 8-relay module works? what kind of devices it can handle and how to i integrate those devices to this module...

also, can u guys explain to me how does a FORM C Relay works.. thanks

On the HAI module, each relay has contacts for the trigger (to be hooked to the outputs from the main board), and common, Normally Open and Normally Closed contacts on the switched side. Each relay is rated for 5 amps at 24 VDC. A nice thing about the HAI module is that it has built in surge protection on the relays to prevent them from gettng zapped when opening and closing.

can i connect motorized blinds into this relays? what are the requirement for me to be able to do this? thanks.

It would depend on the controls for the motorized blinds. If they have a single button control like a garage door opener (ie push once it goes up, push again it goes down), it would be very easy. The other trick would be how to determine what state the blind is in (ie up or down). You can easily stick a magnetic contact on a garage door, but a motorized blind might not be as easy.

jlehnert said:
It would depend on the controls for the motorized blinds. If they have a single button control like a garage door opener (ie push once it goes up, push again it goes down), it would be very easy. The other trick would be how to determine what state the blind is in (ie up or down). You can easily stick a magnetic contact on a garage door, but a motorized blind might not be as easy.
is there a way i can connect the a motorized blinds to the HAI system?

I repeat my last. It depends on the controls for the blinds. Maybe yes, maybe no. Until you have more information on the blinds, there is no way to tell.

thanks for all the replies... will update u regarding the blinds that im going to get so u guys can help me out in interfacing it. My thinking is that i'll ask u first regarding what kind of blinds im going to get but as u said that it would be difficult if i have no specific details. thanks, i'll just update u guys :wacko:

i was able to obtain a blind that uses low voltage... it has 2 wires in it.. one (+) the other one is (-).... if i connect the 2 wires to a power supply, the blind goes down, when i reverse the polarity it goes up....

my question is.. how should i connect this to the form c relay from HAI... or can i really connect this to my HAI?? thanks...

to make a DC motor reverse directions requires a DPDT relay to reverse polarity. The diagram below may help you visualize it. You would connect the middle two connectors to the drapery motor. You connect the two end connectors to your power supply. these two connectors also connect to the other end of the switch/relay in an "X" pattern to reverse. Your power supply will still need to be switched on & off, as this relay will only control direction. think of this switch as a manual transmission, you still need an ignition switch.

rsc4.jpg

ignore the top half of the picture, I just found it using a quick Google search

Following up on WayneW's post.

The HAI relay modules are SPST, not DPDT. However, the Elk 924 relays are DPDT. I didn't see them on Martin's site, but he does carry Elk and can probably get them.

Thanks, I am not an HAI expert and didn't have a chance to see exactly what the HAI has for relays.

It sounds like you would use 1 HAI form C relay to turn the blind motor on & off.... assuming the relay can carry the current load. This relay would be only on for a few seconds at a time. Then you could use a second HAI form C relay to control the Elk relay that controls the blinds direction. This relay would probably be on about 50% of the time.

Back