From F-connector to BNC/RCA...

beelzerob

All of my RG59 gets terminated into a patch panel, so there's all my f-connectors (barrel connectors, really). But my media PC outputs via RCA (male) and my autopatch has only BNC (female, I guess). And all of these have to get tied into the panel and each other.

So, I was looking online, and I found F-connector to BNC adapters. Do I have to worry that they're not "swept to 3 gHz" like I did with my barrel connectors? I'm guessing not since the bnc's will only be used on baseband signals.

I was just going to make my own cables and crimp on f-connectors then whatever adapter I needed. That seemed cheaper than buying the specific type compression fitting for the individual purposes.

At this point, for sure, I have to go from female f-connector to female BNC, and from male RCA to female BNC. And I can make any intermediate stops with f-connectors if I want to, because I've got a ton of them and I can terminate all day.

Those would work (it kills me how expensive those darned things are).

What about the BNC? I found this ebay auction for f-conn to BNC...but again, I didn't know if there was some ridiculously obscure quality I needed to be concerned about, like GHz ratings.

well, I ended up getting those BNC connectors. At $1 apiece shipped, that was definitely the cheapest I saw.

And I realized that those will take care of ALMOST all my needs. The autopatch was one of the few thorns in the system due to the BNC connectors. I actually already have female RCA to female coax...they're called keystones! I bought enough of those to terminate the whole house, but until I finally do that, I might as well use them down there.

I guess the final question is....I think it'd probably be worth getting one of those f-connector screw drivers. I'm tired of trying to tighten or loossen those by hand in cramped environments. Does anyone have a suggested place for a cheap one of those, or is it ebay time again?

Thanks for the help!

I guess the final question is....I think it'd probably be worth getting one of those f-connector screw drivers. I'm tired of trying to tighten or loossen those by hand in cramped environments. Does anyone have a suggested place for a cheap one of those, or is it ebay time again?

At least the cheapie one I bought doesn't work if you are using compression fittings. Something to watch for.

Brian

Ooo, most of my fittings are compression (at least, the ones I put on). Can you give me a link to the tool to avoid.

I'm wondering if one of those little bulb-type wrenches might be more useful than the screwdriver handle type....

Well crap, that looks like all the other tools I've seen. So...can anyone vouch for an f-tool that works with your typical compression fittings?

Beelzerob,

I have one similar to the link, however, I found a small box wrench works pretty well too. The one I have is like this one But using a small box wrench to loosen the connector then using your fingers to take it off works pretty quickly.

--Jamie

Back