Trying to get HAI HiFi-2 Working! Almost there?

I also put in a request to Leviton for support this morning. In searching the forums I see some other threads which I find interesting about PCS possibly supporting old HAI products, which would be awesome. Anyway, attached is a picture of the VSC board front with some numbers on the board as well as the top of picture on the ribbon cable. The display is glued to a foam pad which I have not separated yet, so there might be more identification under. Waiting to hear back before I go to far.

Attachments

• 20240115_220624.jpg
    20240115_220624.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 3
Chris from Leviton replied:

"Thanks for contacting Leviton Technical Services! Unfortunately, this product is no longer manufactured. There are no replacements, and it can no longer be repaired."

I asked about part number info for the LCD, but no reply. Typically when I have asked a question they do not want to answer, they just don't reply.

Chris from Leviton replied:

"Thanks for contacting Leviton Technical Services! Unfortunately, this product is no longer manufactured. There are no replacements, and it can no longer be repaired."

I asked about part number info for the LCD, but no reply. Typically when I have asked a question they do not want to answer, they just don't reply.
You got more from them than I. :) Wish an engineer that worked there was willing to just scan the docs to find the part number, would make things alot easier. Just poking around it looks like all the old hardwired audio systems were acquired and killed off. Pretty irritating. Like many others here, dont really like the service/cloud stuff.

Agreed- Hate the cloud stuff. I'm trying to make time to start reversing some of this old hardware so we can keep it going and / or improve on it as I dont want a home full of alexas and whatnot.

I did receive a response from Chris at Leviton today: "Brad, It was custom made for the Hi-fi2."

Not much help. As a another attempt, I have sent an email off to NUVO requesting help / info.

Agreed- Hate the cloud stuff. I'm trying to make time to start reversing some of this old hardware so we can keep it going and / or improve on it as I dont want a home full of alexas and whatnot.

I did receive a response from Chris at Leviton today: "Brad, It was custom made for the Hi-fi2."

Not much help. As a another attempt, I have sent an email off to NUVO requesting help / info.
I sure hope Legrand(NuVo) is a bit more willing to help...

I installed a bunch of these systems back in the day. They all have the failed screen. Mine included.

I have taken them apart and scoured the internet for hours researching the numbers on the back of the display without any success. I was also not ever able to find a similar screen with the same cable positioning or pin count. I thought that it was an OLED screen but I could be wrong. Early OLED screens were known to have a short life.

I never reached out to NuVo, you really would have to find a guy thats been there for a while and really wants to help out I think to get any traction but it can't hurt to try. I thought they also got bought or something happened where that was a dead end when I was really trying to solve this.

I also never tried to use one of the NuVo VSCs from the same time period on the systems, has anyone ever tried that? It has been a while since I had one opened but doesn't the board say NuVo right on it? I wonder when he said they were "custom made" did he mean even the communication protocol between head end and remote or are they the same as the NuVo platform? Are they published yet? They cant be that complex I am still surprised nobody has come up with an arduino controller on a touch LCD yet for it. Maybe they just weren't that popular, especially if it had a proprietary comm protocol. I am certain that I could decode the protocol and build an arduino interface, but the crappy iPad ap prevents me from doing so, since it exists and still lets me use my system. I am pretty sure I have a brand new VSC in a box I was saving just in case I ever needed to really reverse engineer it, but IDK if the displays fail from lack of use or from use, because they all failed even the ones that were hardly used. Once I saw them failing like crazy and we couldn't order new ones I figured I should horde one for the future.

I installed a bunch of these systems back in the day. They all have the failed screen. Mine included.

I have taken them apart and scoured the internet for hours researching the numbers on the back of the display without any success. I was also not ever able to find a similar screen with the same cable positioning or pin count. I thought that it was an OLED screen but I could be wrong. Early OLED screens were known to have a short life.

I never reached out to NuVo, you really would have to find a guy thats been there for a while and really wants to help out I think to get any traction but it can't hurt to try. I thought they also got bought or something happened where that was a dead end when I was really trying to solve this.

I also never tried to use one of the NuVo VSCs from the same time period on the systems, has anyone ever tried that? It has been a while since I had one opened but doesn't the board say NuVo right on it? I wonder when he said they were "custom made" did he mean even the communication protocol between head end and remote or are they the same as the NuVo platform? Are they published yet? They cant be that complex I am still surprised nobody has come up with an arduino controller on a touch LCD yet for it. Maybe they just weren't that popular, especially if it had a proprietary comm protocol. I am certain that I could decode the protocol and build an arduino interface, but the crappy iPad ap prevents me from doing so, since it exists and still lets me use my system. I am pretty sure I have a brand new VSC in a box I was saving just in case I ever needed to really reverse engineer it, but IDK if the displays fail from lack of use or from use, because they all failed even the ones that were hardly used. Once I saw them failing like crazy and we couldn't order new ones I figured I should horde one for the future.

For me the only ones that have failed were the HAI branded ones, not the Leviton ones. I purchased the Leviton ones from a dealer new with the primary panel and the HAI ones came with the expansion panel I bought at a different time. Guessing they figured the issue out at some point. I would say the ones that failed had very little use on them.

I have come up with the same results trying to find a match for OLED screen. Yes, Nuvo got purchased by Legrand. I have been looking at the Nuvo keypads and have not found a matched screen size fit just yet. Essentia is close. Those can be found but pricey.

Back