Fusion Brain Digital input/output device

Hello everyone.

I am one of the 2 people responsible for the Fusion line of products.

Just to answer some questions above:

1) Yes the chip is included. I have updated the product page with some more pictures of the current version. The current version has a blue PCB, while the beta boards have the green PCB.
Brain-02-B.jpg

2) The software will, but does not currently, have a COM object. I am currently writing the COM object with the help of another. The software now is meant to be embeddable into a frontend (for CarPC use), but can be run standalone as well. You can also run it in the taskbar invisbly and just send messages to it (soon).

3) USB is effective up to 5m (~15ft) and after that you can get an active cable so that it amplifies the signal. With active cables the maximum distance is pretty much forever.

4) Yes the PIC can be removed and reprogrammed as you wish. The firmware is not "top secret" as it can be pulled off the chip if you wanted to, but we will 100% not be releasing it officially. The software is open source and you can change that as much as you want. It is written in C# and available for download now.

Also as to the rs-232 mentioned above, is a really old standard, and newer computers lack old ports all together. My newest motherboard had no lpt1 or db9 on it. Just 8 USB on the back and more headers for the front. So USB is the way to go to keep your system "future-proof" for now. That unit as well states "Outputs can sink/source up to 25 mA each". Our unit spits out 400mA and 500mA if needed which can directly drive relays to switch 12vDC, 120vAC, 220vAC so it is great for the home automation because you need less extras.

If you guys have any questions about it, just let us know.

-- Nick
Fusion Control Centre

No analog out on the Fusion, but the analog-in and digital I/O for the Weeder version would be $130 (versus $50).

We actually are making an analogue out (its purpose was for the car environemt though, but it can be used in any DC environment).

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update. I think the product is a great idea, and I intend on using it in an RV system. I also agree with the decision to use USB, as RS232 is too limiting. But I do have one correction to make:
3) USB is effective up to 5m (~15ft) and after that you can get an active cable so that it amplifies the signal. With active cables the maximum distance is pretty much forever.
Forever is a long time.

The active cables do not actually amplify the signal, but repeat the signal. The USB cable length is limited to 5 meters because of the turn-around time of the USB handshake and the current speed of light, not the strength of the signal. Therefore, an active cable is simply a single port hub, repeating the USB handshake down an additional USB tier. The USB spec allows for seven tiers of hub/devices. Counting the root-hub and the device, that leaves a maximum of 5 levels of hubs, or 30 meters of daisy-chained active cables.

That's still not bad, but it's not Ethernet.

I put a post about this product on the PowerHome forum and one of the people there mentioned putting several of these on touch screen systems around the house. Networked I/O for $50 per point (if the systems are already in place). Nice angle.

nt3243B.tmp.jpg

Here is a resource monitor. As you can see, the scene takes very little CPU.
BSR, there were significant updates since the version you are using. It would take very little for you to upgrade. Just backup, and install over the top. Likely most would work just like that.

This is definitely a really cool product, and I will probably get one of these myself soon. Thanks for joining CT and answering some of our questions!

nt3243B.tmp.jpg

Here is a resource monitor. As you can see, the scene takes very little CPU.
BSR, there were significant updates since the version you are using. It would take very little for you to upgrade. Just backup, and install over the top. Likely most would work just like that.
Pic not pulling up for me.

In order to keep this thread "on topic" I created THIS one for any future MainLobby discussion.

I just got to thinking, this may be a great way to control 12 sets of Christmas lights for $50 plus the relays. Should not be too hard to have Home Seer, or any other type Home Automation software control the lights. It s heck of a lot cheaper than most of the boards out there to do this. The drawback is, it would pretty much all have to be manually scripted if you wanted to time it to music ect.

I just got to thinking, this may be a great way to control 12 sets of Christmas lights for $50 plus the relays. Should not be too hard to have Home Seer, or any other type Home Automation software control the lights. It s heck of a lot cheaper than most of the boards out there to do this. The drawback is, it would pretty much all have to be manually scripted if you wanted to time it to music ect.

lol, I never really thought of it as a Christams Light show driver, but it would work. You can do some pretty cool animations with it. :)

And we are working on analogue output as well. We are also working on an extender board to allow somewhere from 64 to 96 digital outputs with a single board. So with 96 outputs and 14 inputs, I dont think there is currently anything on the market even close to touching it at $50! I took a look at the WeedTech version and I can't say I see any benefit it has, but I am a tad bit biased. :unsure:

If there is something available on that board, that we do not have, let me know and Ill see what I can do. To me I dont even see a comparison really...

-- Nick
Fusion Control Centre

Nick,

I know you said the PIC is fully accessable and programable but I do not know how to do this... It might be worth looking in to having a ethernet option instead of the USB this would open a whole new market for you!

Back