Garage Door Opener - Signal Issues

Your reference to police/military installations tweaked my memory.
I used to find my garage door open some mornings. Changed codes, thinking someone had the same one. Changed to a new controller with rolling codes. Still the occasional problem.
One morning, coming home late from work, I was reaching for the opener on the visor when the garage door opened in front of me, just as a police cruiser went by. They do a circuit through the neighbourhood every night. I flagged then down and asked them to transmit- the door closed! re-transmit- it opened!

Seems that if they were on the radio when they went by, it was enough to trigger the controller. Couldn't figure out why. I eventually bought an entire new system from another manufacturer, with I assume, an RF receiver on a v. different frequency or perhaps better frequency discrimination. No problem now for 5+ years.

Your problem might relate to de-synchronized rolling codes. I had this problem with a weak car battery. Even though the car started (grudgingly, at minus 30), the voltage drop was enough to starve the transmitter and it wouldn't work. Re-synched it and no prob so far.

bob

I saw a similar thing once too. The volunteer fire station in one town was pretty much at the end of the airport runway. We kept finding the door open and kept blaming somebody until it opened once on the fireman during a meeting and they heard the plane and figured it out.

Back