Garage Door remote monitoring

kccustom

Howdy, I have a project I want to do for my aging mother, she has been calling me alot lately to go by her house to see if she remembered to shut the garage door.

Does anybody have any ideas short of installing an home automation system? I am not opposed to the idea of installing an alarm system but I sure dont want to spend the money that I have on my own.

It would have to be controllable via the internet. I do have an INSTEON Central Controller 2412N think I could get something going with that?

There is an INSTEON kit which contains all the hardware you need. Combine that with hardware/software which support smartphones, and you are all set. Another option would be going the Arduino route if you aren't planning on any other automation.

I was just looking at that, it seems perfect for what I want to do. I wonder if it is compatible with the 2412N? She could check it on her iphone!

I wonder if it is compatible with the 2412N?
I use the kit, and it works well, including web access. I don't use smartlinc, but can fathom no reason why it would not be compatible.

Have you considered an IP camera in the garage? It appears that smartlinc supports this, also.

There are some good posts on this topic. I'm getting ready to do the same and one of the points that was made was "do you want to remotely close a door that you cannot see?" May not be an issue for everyone but it made me think. I've got a couple IP cameras that let me check stuff. I can access them from the internet including my Iphone. The panasonics are easy to set up and can be had for 'bout a hundred bucks (more if you need wireless). Their hosting site is free. Now regarding actually closing the door I'm still working on that. :)

It's that darn garage door that got me into all this home automation! All to cure my OCD to see if I really closed it (I've never once forgotten to).

Does anybody have any ideas short of installing an home automation system?

If all you need is to make sure the garage door is closed then try looking into something like Autocloser. Dead simple, cheap (~$50), no home automation involved solution. I remember seeing a few more like this (but this was the first one to come up in Google search).

The Autocloser attaches to most residential garage door openers and will automatically close the door after the user specified closing time. The times can be set to 2, 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Autocloser comes equipped with a disable button that will allow the door to remain open if needed.

Here's another (even cheaper option from SmartHome) - SkylinkHome GT-100A Garage Door Closer - $27 on sale now.

P.S. Google is your friend. ;)

If all you need is to make sure the garage door is closed then try looking into something like Autocloser. Dead simple, cheap (~$50), no home automation involved solution. I remember seeing a few more like this (but this was the first one to come up in Google search).

Here's another (even cheaper option from SmartHome) - SkylinkHome GT-100A Garage Door Closer - $27 on sale now.

P.S. Google is your friend. ;)
Google? never heard of that. ;) I have learned and saved alot brainstorming with my fellow Cocooners, Google is no match for the creativity here.

Looks like the Skylink is not controllable via the internet, gots to have that!

That insteon kit is probably the way to go - or you could accomplish the same thing with a UPB input/output module and a web mountain RUC (costly though). Really anything with inputs/outputs that can be controlled via the internet; even a globalcache GC100-12 device would do it.

That insteon kit is probably the way to go - or you could accomplish the same thing with a UPB input/output module and a web mountain RUC (costly though). Really anything with inputs/outputs that can be controlled via the internet; even a globalcache GC100-12 device would do it.
I think I am going to try the INSTEON kit, if it does not work I can always re purpose it.

I think I am going to try the INSTEON kit, if it does not work I can always re purpose it.
One more option would be an IP camera or IP web server for analog cam (a la Axis 241Q) that has outputs. Bring up the camera in a browser and use it's output button to close the contact for garage door control. You couyld actually sit and watch the door raise or lower.

I have learned and saved alot brainstorming with my fellow Cocooners, Google is no match for the creativity here.
Ditto 100%.

Maybe I just read your question wrong, but your question had two premisses (and I quote):
1) "..short of installing an home automation system."
2) "..I sure dont want to spend the money.."

Hence my response. ;) No offence.

P.S. Like AntonyZ's idea! I'm gonna look into it for my own garage. Currently I just monitor the door's status, and send out SMS to my phone (through ISY) when door opens while I'm away. I still can't figure out my door opener control - it's too smart by itself (Chamberlain PD752D) and I don't want to fry it. My wall button has a built-in motion sensor and can control light on the opener, so I guess it sends some sort of a serial command, not just a 12V pulse. Anyone had any experience with those?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q8AE3TAKL.jpg

Control by Web has these WebRelays that incorporate a digital input and output (for monitoring and control), built in WebPage with security for $200. Just get an external wall wart supply and plug in to your router, wire the magnetic contact sensor to the input and the garage control to the output (or hacked remote per my how-to) and you are good to go. I believe you can even program the output for a 'pulse' which would be great for door control.

Back