GE NX584 with nx8e

tomciob

with the recommendation of sales guy at homecontrols.com i purchased the nx584 rs232 home automation module for my nx8e panel.

does the nx8e have all the functions on board that the nx584 board has, or does it only do programming?

tomciob said:
with the recommendation of sales guy at homecontrols.com i purchased the nx584 rs232 home automation module for my nx8e panel.
Are you serious? :D Did they tell you this on April Fools day by any chance?

The NX8E board already comes with a serial interface. If you purchased just the NX8 (without the "E") then you would need the NX584 serial interface as the NX8 does not have one.

BUT, if you indeed purchased the NX8e, the serial interface is native to that board (I have one myself that I use with HomeSeer via a serial port).

So, unless I'm just not getting something here I don't really know why they told you to purchase the NX584. May want to double check with them (hopefully they take returns).

Also, FYI, the NX8E's serial interface requires a ribbon to DB-9 cable (called something like a DSC05). You will need to pick one of those up as well. If they don't carry one, Martin of Automated Outlet does!

Also, Welcome to CocoonTech. ;)

thank you for the reply
i guess they are just clueless although in their defense they do sell a lot of different products.

tomciob said:
thank you for the reply
i guess they are just clueless although in their defense they do sell a lot of different products.
Well, check with them and make sure I'm correct. No harm done as long as they will take the unit back, which I'm sure they will!

Maybe tell them to send you the ribbon interface cable free for your troubles. ;)

Also make sure they send you the DL900 disk. This makes programming that puppy a little easier, although I've always said that the Caddx programming methodology is not for the faint of heart! :D

BTW: Welcome to the Caddx club. Are you going to interface this with a computer based home automation software?

interfacing is not my primary goal, maybe down the road.

i didn't get the cable for free but theyll pay for shipment back to them of the nx584 board.

Back