GPS & HA

IVB

Anyone doing anything with GPS & HA?

I tried searching on GPS, but it's too short. A search on receiver revealed nothing.

I don't know if there's any real applications, i was trying to come up with a rule about how to use it, but the issue would be I wouldn't want anything happening in the house if I was en-route home and decided to stop at the deli down the street for something.

If your house is moving so much that it needs a GPS, you have real problems. :D

If you want to track a vehicle or person with GPS, you can research APRS using amatuer radio or accutracking.com. Accutracking.com is no longer free and I don't know if people have figured out how to get that data into an HA app. APRS requires radio gear and a license, but the data is easy to get. It also lets other people see your position, which may be a drawback.

Well, i am in earthquake country...

Can you think of any real value in tracking a person or a car via GPS [as opposed to near-space, such as RFID]?

A total non-HA-but-likes-to-talk-smack guy told me that I could use GPS to "take my stuff to the next level".

I might be myopic, but I can't think of a robust way to have an automated rule to deal with taking action on a person or car's location. Well, maybe as a response to iAutomate's refusal to work with non-HS apps, but that'd be a waste as I'd prefer RFID so I could track inside the house too.

How about using GPS or that radio stuff wayne mentioned for security. You could have it setup so that if your Elk alarm system is armed any your car moves more than x amount of feet then set off you alarm. Or you can use it to keep track of a loved one in case they do not come home when you expect them to.

You can use it so that things start happening as soon as you leave work, such as adjusting HVAC. Then adjusting security or lighting as you get closer.

Honestly, I agree that it is much more human interest than rules based useful.

WayneW said:
Then adjusting security or lighting as you get closer.
I'm not sure how, at least in my case, that would work. many times we stop at the restaurants/grocery store/deli/etc that is 500 yards down the road. Sometimes we drive nearly right by our house to go there. I don't know if I could setup rules that would be able to differentiate between "I'm on my way home" and "I'm on my way to the deli".

I think that for most people the opportunities of GPS+HA are just marginal, but as I have a ham radio license I will certainly be looking into APRS just before giving a car to me eldest son 15 years from now. He's 3. :D

While I have a Ham License, I did look into using APRS, before deciding to use Accutracking.

My reasons were:

APRS - Higher equipment costs ( Don't remember what now)

Accutracking - Hardware about $50.00

Daily costs - APRS - Nominal or zero

Accutracking - 20 cents per day

My Accutracking can be viewed here Where I am right now

Where I've been the last 12 hours viewed here. (Probably won't be moving my truck until Monday morning)

Haven't really figured out (as Guy said) a problem to use my solution for.

Just thought it was a neat thing to do. :D

Edit: elcano-Make sure your son has his Ham license by then (grin)

I've been using Accutracking since it started. I have not integrated anything into HS. (I could not find anything to use the info for)

elcano said:
I think that for most people the opportunities of GPS+HA are just marginal, but as I have a ham radio license I will certainly be looking into APRS just before giving a car to me eldest son 15 years from now. He's 3. :eek:
Which level of license is required for APRS by the way?

Mike said:
Which level of license is required for APRS by the way?
Unless they have changed things recently, the entry license which requires no morse code is all that is needed for 2meter APRS.

Back