Grandstream GXV3672_HD Outdoor Day/Night HD IP Camera Deal $147

pete_c said:
I "was" taking it outside but before I did I wanted to see how easy it would be to change the lens on it.  Looks easy. The front of the camera just unscrews from the back. 

To get to the lens you have to remove the LED illumination ring.  The lens has a set screw on it.

For easy focus of the new lens you can utilize the analog output via BNC.

Attached are pictures of the inside of the camera.
Hi Pete, 
Were you able to upgrade the lens on the 3672? I have a couple of these and regret not getting the 3.6 wide angle lens. If so, what would one google if I wanted to replace or search for compatible lenses?

Thanks,
Steve

Were you able to upgrade the lens on the 3672?

I was not and did leave it alone after trying (well and doing more harm than good with the camera).

It is still working just fine and I have left it alone.

The Grandstream OS cameras are also doing just fine.  They do sell these with different type lenses; but these are only the camera boards. (you have to DIY the camera)

pete_c said:
I was not and did leave it alone after trying (well and doing more harm than good with the camera).

It is still working just fine and I have left it alone.

The Grandstream OS cameras are also doing just fine.  They do sell these with different type lenses; but these are only the camera boards. (you have to DIY the camera)
Thanks for the info Pete.

Steve

Back when this thread was active, they only shipped with 8mm lenses - the 3.6mm offering didn't crop up until a bit more recently from what I noticed.  

I have one of these sitting here - I just opened it up, and the lens is one of those threaded screw-on types.  It's labeled 8mm 1/2.7" IR MP.  I have to believe these could be ordered - It looks like it's locked into place with a set-screw on the side.

I just might have to experiment with this one as well as the reason it's here is that it was just too narrow for the application I tried it for.

Something like this might just work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-7-camera-Lens-2-0mp-For-Dahua-HDCVI-720p-CVI-module-3-6mm-6mm-8mm-/321449935750?pt=US_Surveillance_Accessories&hash=item4ad7e8c386

Yup; it wasn't that I could not replace the lens; I did. 

It was the focus / length of the lens that caused a destructive issue. 

The lens I tried appeared to be the same or close to the same as the original 8mm lens except for the fine focus of the lens.

The lens assembly sits on the electronic shutter which is glass.   As I focused the lens for optimal view I broke the shutter.

If you can get a short length lens which focuses that you will be OK. 

If Grandstream sells these cams with a 3.6mm lens then I would just purchase it or find out which specific lens they are using.

If not you will most likely break the electronic shutter assembly right under the lens (which I did) purchasing a lens which is too long.

electronic shutter.jpg

Here is a picture of a 3.6 mm and a 6 mm lens.  Note that the 3.6mm lens is 17mm long where as the 6mm is 15mm long.

3.6mm-6mmlens.jpg

On my test OS Grandstream camera mods I just went to 3.6mm lens purchased with 3.6mm lens.

I am looking at an HD Grandstream OS camera board with a fish eye lens to replace current one in place which has been working fine (MP board) but the lens doesn't cover the entire length of the garage.  (IE: a 3.6mm / 2.8mm lens might work but a fisheye lens would provide optimal view).

garage.jpg

They also sell a varifocal camera too now so you could adjust it for best picture.  It doesn't look at nice IMO but it gets the job done.

pete_c said:
Yup; it wasn't that I could not replace the lens; I did. 

It was the focus / length of the lens that caused a destructive issue. 

The lens I tried appeared to be the same or close to the same as the original 8mm lens except for the fine focus of the lens.

The lens assembly sits on the electronic shutter which is glass.   As I focused the lens for optimal view I broke the shutter.

If you can get a short length lens which focuses that you will be OK. 

If Grandstream sells these cams with a 3.6mm lens then I would just purchase it or find out which specific lens they are using.

If not you will most likely break the electronic shutter assembly right under the lens (which I did) purchasing a lens which is too long.

attachicon.gif
electronic shutter.jpg

Here is a picture of a 3.6 mm and a 6 mm lens.  Note that the 3.6mm lens is 17mm long where as the 6mm is 15mm long.

attachicon.gif
3.6mm-6mmlens.jpg

On my test OS Grandstream camera mods I just went to 3.6mm lens purchased with 3.6mm lens.

I am looking at an HD Grandstream OS camera board with a fish eye lens to replace current one in place which has been working fine (MP board) but the lens doesn't cover the entire length of the garage.  (IE: a 3.6mm / 2.8mm lens might work but a fisheye lens would provide optimal view).

attachicon.gif
garage.jpg
Thanks Pete and Work2Play. So if I were to upgrade my existing lenses, the challenge is to figure out what 3.6 lens Grandstream is putting into these cameras. 

Steve

Yeah it's really interesting about breaking the shutter - I never would've thought about that.  I wonder if a dremel to shorten the housing would help at all?

Yup; here thought that it was going to be an easy update and did go slow with the focusing pieces of the lens.  The "tinkle" of the broken glass shutter shut down my efforts. 

Personally the camera is well built and it would be worth just purchasing one with the 3.6mm lens. 

The Aircam lens was just a very simple lens replacement; much easier to do.  That said there are imperfections in the wider angle view relating to a nice sharpness in the center FOV and a dullness (unfocused) peripheral FOV (but you really have look carefully).

Venturing back to looking at the Grandstream OS all in one cameras and found the two. 

One Aircam is giving me problems such that while I can reboot the camera; it doesn't come back for 2 days(?).. 

I understand this thread was related to the Grandstream GXV 3672

This camera would be replacing the Aircam Weathercam with a 2.8mm lens. 

I am also looking at the dome cams for different stuff.  (all I can find is a 3.6mm lens dome one).

Only thing with the camera is methodology of hiding the pigtails.  Might go to a short white plastic box?  It is under the 2nd floor eave which can cause me grief. 

Here is the Grandstream camera that I am looking at:

GXV3674 series Outdoor Day/Night IP Camera (2 models)

Grandstream.jpg
Grandstream-2.jpg
  • GXV3674_HD_VF: 1.2 megapixel Progressive Scan CMOS image sensor, 720p resolution
  • GXV3674_FHD_VF: 3.1 megapixel Progressive Scan CMOS image sensor, 1080p resolution
- Vari-focal HD lens (2.8mm-12mm) with DC-IRIS and the capability to zoom or focus without opening the case
- High quality 1.2 and 3.1 Megapixel CMOS sensors
- Advanced multi-streaming rate real-time H.264
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) at 720p and 1080p resolutions
- Built-in high performance streaming server to allow multiple simultaneous viewers
- Supports Motion Detection and Notifications on PC client
- Pre/post event recording buffer
- Supports both variable bit rate and variable frame rate
- Integrated PoE (802.3af)
- Embedded video analytics and SIP/VoIP/IMS support
- Full ONVIF conformance with extensions in the near future

http://www.grandstream.com/products/ip-video-surveillance/gxv3674

Here is another one that I am looking it.  It is using a Grandstream OS.

camera.jpg

• 1/3'' 3MP CMOS Sensor(Aptina AR0331)
  • TI DaVinci DM368 DPS
  • Resolution:1920 x 1080@30 fps/2048 x 1536@15fps
  • Vari-focus 2.8-12mm manual zoom & focus lens
  • Built-in Dual Filter Switch IR-Cut System
  • Built-in WEB SERVER, Support IE,Chrome,Firefox browsing and parameter Settings
  • Free Video Surveillance System(For PC)
  • H.264/MJPEG video encoding, h264 format(Can be converted to AVI)
  • Dual video stream transmission
  • Support 554 RTSP
  • Support the motion detection(smtp with jpg)
  • Day/Night, Night vision distance 10-40 meters
  • Waterproof IP66
  • With wall bracket
  • DC 12V Power input
  • Support Blue Iris video software (Brand: Grandstream)
  • Support Synology NAS surveillance (Brand: Grandstream)
  • Support ONVIF
Note that its a bit bigger than the above mentioned camera.

Back