GRI surface mount window contacts

As an fyi, the built in resistor is a special order and almost doubles the price of the contact.

BraveSirRobbin said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
I need your help folks. I just finished ordering this window contacts for my testing

http://www.safemart.com/index.asp?PageActi...ROD&ProdID=6312

Can I connect the 2200 ohms with this? By the way, is this product a normally close or open?

Thanks,

Neil
I noticed this statement in the specifications of that sensor:

Built-in E.O.L. resistors and diodes upon request

So it looks like you can get the resistor built into the unit, which means you will not have to use an external one.

As far as normally open or closed, it looks like you can order them either way (clicked on the "View Data Sheet" towards the bottom of that page).
Oh no, I didn't know that you can order them. I have already ordered them before I posted it. That means, it won't have built in resistor ;) So, can I still connect an external 2.2k resistor?

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to use them just like any other magnetic sensor, unless I'm missing something very obvious!

Besides, judging from Steve's post above, you are probably better off "dollar value" wise by using the external EOL resistor. ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
Besides, judging from Steve's post above, you are probably better off "dollar value" wise by using the external EOL resistor. ;)
In this case, what would be a best way to hide the wiring/EOL.

surdev said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Besides, judging from Steve's post above, you are probably better off "dollar value" wise by using the external EOL resistor.  ;)
In this case, what would be a best way to hide the wiring/EOL.
The best way is to insert the resistor in the hole on the stud.

So folks, I explained to my wife the importance of window contacts. Finally, FINALLY, hehehe, I got an approval for the purchase. As you know, only surface mount is applicable to my window contacts. I also only know GRI brands. Yesterday, I bought 2 piece of window contacts just for my testing and learning. Now, I need the final one that I will mount. I would like to get recommendations from you which you think is a reliable window contact. Does window contacts perform the same?

Technically the proper way to wire multiple windows to a single zone is to “loop†them. You leave the panel or zone expander and run the wire to the first contact, At the contact you bean or solder the negative wires together and only “break†the positive wire (this is important) through the contact. At the last contact the resistor is on the end of the negative wire in series with the contact. The positive leg connects to the other leg of the contact. The reason to only break the positive side (look at the panel door diagram) is that any ground on the protective loop will be detected as a fault. The other advantage to “looping†is ease of troubleshooting. If you have 5 window contacts just pull out the middle contact and meter the loop both ways and you have just narrowed it down 50%.

Resistors made into the contact are very secure but each time you replace a contact, it become a special order item. It is also a major pain when replacing a panel that uses a different value resistor.

For surface mount contacts I get the resistor as close as posible (I prefer contacts with terminals vs. leads)

Scott

Back