GRI2800 water sensors and Elk, can't seem to get them to work

politics123

So --

I thought I bench tested these things. I had them setup as non-alarm, and then tied a rule to the zone (when violated, speak). I dipped a sensor into the water, Elk spoke, I thought all was good.

But now that I'm actually ready to roll them out and configure these to be Water Alarm zones, I can't seem to get the ELK setup correct for these water sensors. They are supposed to be "Normally Open" and I've tried configuring the zone that way. However, the Elk claims that there is a zone trouble. When I bring up the Status page in ElkRP, it indicates the state being EOLR and the volts being 8.1.

Any ideas?

mh

So --

I thought I bench tested these things. I had them setup as non-alarm, and then tied a rule to the zone (when violated, speak). I dipped a sensor into the water, Elk spoke, I thought all was good.

But now that I'm actually ready to roll them out and configure these to be Water Alarm zones, I can't seem to get the ELK setup correct for these water sensors. They are supposed to be "Normally Open" and I've tried configuring the zone that way. However, the Elk claims that there is a zone trouble. When I bring up the Status page in ElkRP, it indicates the state being EOLR and the volts being 8.1.

Any ideas?

mh

Did you put the 2.2K EOLR in?

Can you measure the resistance (leads) going to the Elk with a mulitmeter (wet and normal readings).

Thanks guys. Part of the goal was getting this working before this weekend's flooding rains (since I was going to be out during the weekend)

I didn't put the 2.2k resistors in. The GRI's require 5volts, and I was somewhat concerned about voltage drop under load. (I didn't hookup aux power, the GRI is only being powered by the zone) I have like ~10 of these sensors. If you don't think there'll be a problem, i'll try the resistors on Sunday.

BSR -- so, essentially, I should ignore what the ELK RP status page says and just measure the resistance directly? Okay. I'm away from home today/tomorrow, but I'll give this a shot on Sunday.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Can you measure the resistance (leads) going to the Elk with a mulitmeter (wet and normal readings).

Thanks guys. Part of the goal was getting this working before this weekend's flooding rains (since I was going to be out during the weekend)

I didn't put the 2.2k resistors in. The GRI's require 5volts, and I was somewhat concerned about voltage drop under load. (I didn't hookup aux power, the GRI is only being powered by the zone) I have like ~10 of these sensors. If you don't think there'll be a problem, i'll try the resistors on Sunday.

BSR -- so, essentially, I should ignore what the ELK RP status page says and just measure the resistance directly? Okay. I'm away from home today/tomorrow, but I'll give this a shot on Sunday.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Get me a link to the sensors you are using. I want to make sure they are "really" using "contact closures" as you suggested in your post above and not producing a voltage output (I'm confused now).

I have used these sensors for a few years. Without an EOLR the zone will be in trouble.

I can also say that they work! About 3 or 4 times I have had a very samll leak under a sink etc and the sensors detected it.

I have used these sensors for a few years. Without an EOLR the zone will be in trouble.

I can also say that they work! About 3 or 4 times I have had a very samll leak under a sink etc and the sensors detected it.

Ah, so that is the secret? :)

Refresh my memory... I wire these just like any other contact, right? One lead directly from ELK to the sensor, the other lead running from the ELK to one end of the 2.2k resistor, then connecting the other end of the 2.2k resistor to the sensor?

I wonder how I ever got these to work when they were in setup as a type 16 (non-alarm) Normally Open mode.

Ah, so that is the secret? :)

Refresh my memory... I wire these just like any other contact, right? One lead directly from ELK to the sensor, the other lead running from the ELK to one end of the 2.2k resistor, then connecting the other end of the 2.2k resistor to the sensor?

I wonder how I ever got these to work when they were in setup as a type 16 (non-alarm) Normally Open mode.

The EOLR should be in parallel with the last water sensor on the zone (I only put one per zone). As a quick test just stick the EOLR at the panel on that zone.

So, just as a reminder, folks, that it helps to reread the directions ;) While debugging, I couldn't figure out why I didn't have a voltage change between normal and wet. I then realized I switched my positives and negatives. Doh!!

Anyway, all is good now. Thanks for the help!

So, just as a reminder, folks, that it helps to reread the directions ;) While debugging, I couldn't figure out why I didn't have a voltage change between normal and wet. I then realized I switched my positives and negatives. Doh!!

Anyway, all is good now. Thanks for the help!

Aint it great when things work ;)

Back