HA recommendations

SSideways

Hi Everyone,

After reading this forum for a couple of weeks, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for HA with build in security, lighting control, Air conditioning, and window automation.
I've already inquired about HAI omni IIe but would like to know if there's comparable products on the market that is simple enough for a DIY installation.

Mahlao Darren

If you've been truly paying attention, you would realize the Elk M1 is overwhelmingly recommended here for that situation :)

Is there even anyone on here with an HAI Omni* system? While there may be some good "discussions" about lighting protocols ... the M1 seems to be the Cocoontech standard for panels.

Is there even anyone on here with an HAI Omni* system?
Yes, there are a lot of people on this board with HAI systems. In fact, we have 2 installed here in the office and have someone here that teaches HAI training classes.

I used to have a HAI Omni II and recently traded up to the HAI Omni Pro II. The panel has always been very reliable and works great. The best thing about the HAI panel is that HAI continuously works to add new features and functionality. If you need more power, combine it with Homeseer. There is nothing wrong with the Elk, but HAI has been doing panels much longer than Elk, and this has allowed them to develop a solid product line. Some things the Elk does better, other things HAI does better.

I stand corrected to a degree. But there does not seem to be an HAI "camp" on the board vs. Elk like there is for Insteon vs. UPB vs. ZWave. Which was my original point.

My comment about Elk was based on:

I've already inquired about HAI omni IIe but would like to know if there's comparable products on the market that is simple enough for a DIY installation

and I think as has been discussed many times, Elk does much better diy support than HAI. My recommendation was not based on technical merit or anything else. And, he asked about comparable products, he already knew about HAI.

The best thing about the HAI panel is that HAI continuously works to add new features and functionality. If you need more power, combine it with Homeseer. There is nothing wrong with the Elk, but HAI has been doing panels much longer than Elk, and this has allowed them to develop a solid product line. Some things the Elk does better, other things HAI does better.

A lot of the staff at ELK are from the former "Moose" company. They have been in the industry for a long time. They are also constantly improving the product line. The firmware upgrades on the M1 and EZ-8 are "FREE" and the panels can be flashed (locally or remotely even by your alarm company if you dont DIY). HAI charges customers for an upgrade and you have to buy a chip and install it yourself or more likely pay your alarm company to come for a service call.

They are both good companies and they both have good products. If you plan on DIY I would go ELK. If you plan on getting it professionally installed I would research it very carefully before deciding what is best for you.

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. Does ELK support UPB or should I be looking into Z-wave for lighting control. Also has anyone used an HA for Split air conditioners? The dealer for HAI said it's impossible to wire in a Split air condition for HA due to higher voltage.

mahalo Darren

Also has anyone used an HA for Split air conditioners? The dealer for HAI said it's impossible to wire in a Split air condition for HA due to higher voltage.

If you need to control a high-power load directly, UPB and Z-wave solutions are limited at this point, but there are workarounds. I control two 240V 1HP pool pumps with UPB, so it can be done.

The dealer for HAI said it's impossible to wire in a Split air condition for HA due to higher voltage.
Huh? That sound bogus. The vast (98%+) majority of thermostats run on 24VAC. HAI prides itself on being able to connect stats to just about any system. I've heard rumors that a couple of their engineers came from the HVAC industry, and thus manage to "McGyver" a stat onto just about anything. I would give HAI headquarters a call with the make and model number of your HVAC system and see what they say. This should not effect your elk vs hai decision, as both system support HAI stats.

I also have a HAI panel (OmniPro) and have installed several others in the past. They ARE good panels. However, at this point in time, I think the Elk is providing a better bang for the buck.

There is nothing wrong with the Elk, but HAI has been doing panels much longer than Elk

FYI:
The ELK Engineering Team was the Moose Products Engineering Team:

1975 to 1980
MPI-20 Security Control - Moose Products, Inc.
MPI-21 Vending Machine Control
MPI-23 Security Control
MPI-26 Security Control
MPI-25 Security Control, Industry Standard
MPI-50 Security Control, Industry Standard
Plus more control....
1980 - MPI-725 Security Control, Micro Processor Based
1984 - Z1100 Security Control, Micro Processor Based, sold over 7 million
Nutone Security control
1987 - Z900 Security Control
1987 Moose sold to Aritech, Inc.
1989 - A910 Security Control, designed for ADT, millions sold
1990 - Z880 Security Control
199x Aritech/Moose sold to Sentrol, Inc.
1995 - Team moved to ELK Products
1998 - Magicmodule Programmable Controller, ELK Products, Inc.
Sentrol, Inc. sold to GE.
2001 - M1 design started

In short the ELK Design Team has one of the longest running security/automation design teams in the industry.

What is a "split air conditioner"? Do you mean two outside compressors? No matter, HA can control any sized load with the appropriate contact relay that is controlled by the appropriate HA controlled relay.

What is a "split air conditioner"?
Basically the unit is in the house and the condenser and fans are mounted outside the house.

Much mahalo's for all the feed back, say I was going to purchase ELK could you guys help me assemble the right components.

Basically I want to automation for lights, (4) AC units, window shades, garage door and security with (4 cameras) with the convience to control or view systems over the internet from anywhere.

thanks Darren

Back