HA Server Hardware review

fyi... Final specs as ordered:

HD: 80G|ST 7K 8M SATA2 ST380815AS % - $42.99 (used for boot)
HD: 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3250620AS - (3) @$209.97 total (used for raid5 / storage)
MB: INTEL BOXDG965WHMKR G965 775 - $124.99
CPU: INTEL|C2D E4300 1.8G 775 2M R - $117.00
MEM: 1G|KST DII800 KHX6400D2LL/1G R - $71.99
DVD_ROM: SONY|DDU1615/B2s BK % - $17.99
MS WIN XP PRO W/SP2B SINGLE PACK % - $139.99 (indeed, i will likely want a portable airpanel, equivalent someday in the HT/Family room)
CPU FAN: A/IZALMAN CNPS7700-ALCU RT - $33.99

Antec TAKE 4 Quiet 4U Rackmount 450W ATX12V @ $233.73 each (wife definately wants in-wall recessed rackmount of the equipment)

plus the maudio-410 i have...

Wow. Very nice system, and a great rack mount case too! You will be very happy with that purchase!

thx for all the advice... might have spent a little more than needed but would rather have than condition than noisy ATA hds, etc

-brad

Well, i put it together, let the raid array format over night...

It's awesome and performs much better (jriver doesn't skip when the mouse moves over the window!!!) except for one thing...
Itunes and Jriver play audio from MPs on the raid array just fine..
Slimserver botches, skips, overlaps back to track (i.e. when song2 starts, 1 keeps playing)

Raid isn't culprit as i rebuilt the slimserverlibrary off the primary drive (non-raid with same mp3s).
Maudio card isn't the culprit cause i get same think if i use the on-board audio (at least i think that proves it's unrelated)
It's not the player, because connecting the squeeze client to the same server does the same thing...

Still searching forums, and will read some docs (not sure what the aduio buffer size is or if it could be playing into it, but will find out) etc... but at the moment kindof saddened - this was gonna be by backbone for whole house audio...

-brad

get on the CQC chat room (#cqc off the cocoontech link above) - jonathan & jkmonroe both use slimserver, they may have a clue for you. They typically hang out either there or in the CQC forums, don't get to the CT forums much.

Back