HAI Introduces Omni IIe

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Home Automation, Inc. (HAI), leading manufacturer of integrated security and home automation products, has introduced an upgrade to its Omni II home automation controller, the Omni IIe.

The Omni IIe has all of the functions and capabilities of the Omni II, including UL-Listed security, telephone access, temperature and lighting control, but now has built-in Ethernet connectivity and three built-in serial ports.

As more and more customers have in-home networks, HAI is bringing direct connection to the network into a lower cost product, explains HAI President, Jay McLellan. Now, the Omni IIe can be accessed over the home network and over the Internet without having a computer running at the house.

Additionally the Omni IIe simplifies wiring to in-home computers, because no serial cable is needed. Also included with the Omni IIe controller is a PIM, the Powerline Interface Module for HAI's new UPB based lighting control system, HAI Lighting Control (HLC). The PIM plugs directly into the third built-in serial port without requiring any port expanders. The Omni IIe also has an expanded vocabulary.

Positioned a bit closer to the company's flagship OmniPro II, the Omni IIe provides advanced features for homes that don't need as many zones, lighting controls, thermostats and the audio control offered by the OmniPro II. Like all Omni controllers, the Omni IIe supports OmniTouch and OmniTouch with Video touchscreens, HAI's new Wireless products and a host of connectivity partners.

Priced only slightly higher than the Omni II (which will no longer be offered by the company), the Omni IIe is the price/performance leader in its class. For more information, including technical specifications and how to purchase, please visit www.homeauto.com or call 800-229-7256. For a high resolution picture of this product, please follow this link, http://www.homeauto.com/mediacenter/HaiPRI...ni-IIe-open.tif

About HAI: HAI is a privately held manufacturer of integrated automation and security products for residential and commercial use based in New Orleans, LA. Incorporated in 1985, HAI has developed a full line of award-winning automation products, including automation controllers, communicating programmable thermostats, smart light switches, and software that allows access and control of an automation system over the Internet. All products are sold through HAI's worldwide network of Distribution Partners and installed by over 1000 trained dealers.

It is interesting that HAI is expanding their voice vocabulary at a time when JDS has dropped Stargate's voice capabilities completely. Could be a good move to position themselves as an upgrade path for Stargate users.

I am a little disappointed that there is no mention of improvements to the rules engine. HAI's weakness has always been the narrow view of what you should want to do with an automation system. They assume you just want to set a scene in response to zone faults or keypad inputs. No provision to trigger things on "when variable changes value" or "if counter falls within this range" type events.

It still feels like the Omni Pro line has lots of nice thermostats and touch screens but not much in the way of brains.

When I first came to cocoontech, I had thought I would be buying a HAI system, so I had been looking at it for awhile. I wound up buying an Elk M1G and have been working on integrating all the goodies since.

There are two things that stick out that HAI had:

1. A nice touchpanel
2. Clean looking temperature sensors

Both these items are being addressed, and the previews of the touchpanels were just released (of course everyone is dying to know how much they will be).

I can't think of anything else I would have considered 'taking from a HAI system' (even if someone wanted their UPB stuff, that can be integrated with the elk as well).

Was there anything I missed?

I agree with Mike. Unlike HAI, ELK actively listens to both small and large users, and makes improvements based on feedback.

If it sounds like I hate HAI, I don't. Some of their support staff and regional people are excellent and helpful. However, everytime I've talked to HAI at a tradeshow, the reps have been unbelieveably arrogant. The attitude has been that if you weren't a 10,000 unit per year installer, your opinions were worthless. One rep actually walked away in mid-question to talk to the designated bimbo-in-miniskirt from one of the other booths. Not the type of activity that would make me want to install their products over a competitors.

A couple other thing that would be nice to have in the ELK that are in the HAI

1) Multizone Audio support
2) Built in speakers and mics for the keypads

and I am sure there are just a few more but not much.

jlehnert said:
I agree with Mike. Unlike HAI, ELK actively listens to both small and large users, and makes improvements based on feedback.

If it sounds like I hate HAI, I don't. Some of their support staff and regional people are excellent and helpful. However, everytime I've talked to HAI at a tradeshow, the reps have been unbelieveably arrogant. The attitude has been that if you weren't a 10,000 unit per year installer, your opinions were worthless.
I must say after spending some time at the HAI booth at CES I have to fully agree with JLehnert's comments! :(

BraveSirRobbin said:
jlehnert said:

If it sounds like I hate HAI, I don't. Some of their support staff and regional people are excellent and helpful. However, everytime I've talked to HAI at a tradeshow, the reps have been unbelieveably arrogant. The attitude has been that if you weren't a 10,000 unit per year installer, your opinions were worthless.
I must say after spending some time at the HAI booth at CES I have to fully agree with JLehnert's comments! :(
I concur ELK are customer focused and do listen!

I too was nearly in the HAI camp before I bought mt M1G. The communication and support from ELK and NESS ( their Australian and many Asian countries distributor) has been nothing short on fantastic! I had the HAI agent do a follow up from a quote they gave me sometime back, I told him that I had made a decsion to go with the ELK M1G.....his comment was never heard of it. "Why would you buy something that was unsupported!!"

Well I spent the next 15 minutes putting him straight on where the ELK/NESS was in the market place and what support I had recieved to date. At the end of the conversation this guy had no where to go but humble pie city. Everytime he would come back with "well the HAI does XYZ" bet the ELK can't do that.....talk about arrogant ......he didn't know the ELK M1G existed 15 minutes before and then set about making claims about what it couldn't do!!!

I too have nothing against the HAI product.

The consequnces of ELK's supporting their customers as they do is having a supporting user base who unknowingly assist those who like us were at one stage swinging purchasers! I am one happy ELK customer!

My 2 cents worth in support of jlenhert and BSR comments.

Cheers,

Fleetz

I too was pretty well set on the Omni Pro when CT and Martin convinced me to continue hunting till there were some Elk in my sights. Even if both products were technically equal, support makes all the difference. While I can't comment on HAI I can proudly say that Elk's customer service and support have been nothing short of phenomenal. Not only does their chief engineer David frequent these parts, but now so do other great engineers such as Don and Chris. I have worked directly with Don and he is fantastic. And even without their CT support, just working with them direct via Elk is great. They are friendly and responsive. I have and continue to recommend Elk to family, friends and anyone else who asks. A great (and getting better) product and top notch support is hard to find these days.

The support aspect has been stellar as well. I have absolutely zero regrets from going down the Elk path. The communication and responsiveness that has been shown have been great, which is something that I see in very few companies (Automated Outlet being another one).

I think we have sufficiently hijacked this thread from it's original purpose.

I think cocoontech has done a great job of educating people as well, as I find it amusing when I see others come here as well with 'thoughts of HAI in their mind' like I once did and then change their mind after looking further and hearing the testimonies of users and Elk themselves.

Mike said:
I think we have sufficiently hijacked this thread from it's original purpose.
Hehe, yes we sort of strayed from this threads initial intentions! :(

BTW, don't get me wrong, HAI has a fantastic looking product! To get this thread back on track, take a look at some of the new HAI products that were presented at CES 2006 HERE.

Some highlights were their new video enabled touch screen and their camera multiplexer input card!

Speaking of the HAI write-up, the captions for one photo state "UPB thermostat, keypad, video touchpad, and switch", or something along those lines. I believe only the lighting portion is UPB. I don't recall ever reading anything (from HAI) about non-lighting UPB products. You might want to double check on that.

jlehnert said:
Speaking of the HAI write-up, the captions for one photo state "UPB thermostat, keypad, video touchpad, and switch", or something along those lines. I believe only the lighting portion is UPB.
Thanks, will correct that!

Back