HAI is gone, time to try ELK

nando248

Well after selling and installing HAI omni panels for the last 15 years, its sad to see them go away. I was hoping another company can just buy them out and bring it back to life but doesn't look like its happening. Now I've decide to sell my first ELK M1 panel with 2 zone expanders and 4 keypads. I was a big fan of HAI OP2 due to all the custom automation I was able to do, ive actually had a few big jobs utilizing every bit of 1500 lines of programming. I know the Elk panels dont have near the same functions or programming potentials like HAI, but I have no choice and it is what it is. Is there any of you that are in my same shoes, and if so, how do you like the Elk panels so far?

Well I’m not in your same shoes as I’m not a professional (yet?) but I installed an Elk panel here myself and love it. I use it with an ISY controller. Maybe you can up-sell the new Elk customers to also use an ISY. It’s very powerful.

I’m running 4 keypads, 2 hardwired expanders, two way wireless expander, 3 relay boards, M1XEP, cellular dialer, system sensor COSMO detectors, speakers and siren, P212s power supply and a few other things I’m probably forgetting.

The rules leave something to be desired. Not sure how they compare to HAI Omni as I never used it. But the ISY with an optional Elk module links the systems very well and opens up a more powerful rules / programs option. Note that an M1XEP is needed for this (maybe the C1M1 would work too I don’t know).

I also use Insteon and I would bet that my Elk with ISY and Insteon can do anything most any residential customers would want.

Not sure this helps advise your situation but wanted to give my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One neat thing you can do with the ISY is have the Elk M1 speak something as part of an ISY program. I have voice confirmation for some Insteon kepad button presses all programmed from within the ISY, no Elk rules required.

I have found that my Elk + ISY installation is extremely flexible.  The Elk programming definitely leaves something to be desired. It's old and limited, but the ISY more than makes up for that. In some instances, I have the ISY read Elk sensors and adjust Elk outputs, but all the programming is handled within the ISY. They work very well together.

Agreed, Elk ISY combon is fantastic.     The Best thing about Elk ISY combo is having announcements made by Alexa through out the house instead of that crappy voice output from Elk.   Now throughout the house I get alerts when pool gate is open or other zone openings.   And its customizable so that the alerts don't happen in my kids rooom at night.   Also, With an Echo show you can actually see words on the screen such as the "Front Door is open".   

hgupta1 said:
Agreed, Elk ISY combon is fantastic.     The Best thing about Elk ISY combo is having announcements made by Alexa through out the house instead of that crappy voice output from Elk.   Now throughout the house I get alerts when pool gate is open or other zone openings.   And its customizable so that the alerts don't happen in my kids rooom at night.   Also, With an Echo show you can actually see words on the screen such as the "Front Door is open".   

You must be using Polyglot. I don't think you can do Alexa announcements using plain Elk - ISY integration can you?

I believe you only need the ISY portal which links to the cloud and is needed for the smart speakers. I don’t use them though. But my understanding is it’s a couple bucks a month paid to UDI and let’s you use Alexa and Google Home as well as I believe a DDNS service so you don’t need to open ports or use VPN to access ISY remotely. Includes the network resources module as well.

Edit: To be clear, if you go this route the ISY stays local for everything else. It doesn’t all go to the cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the combo that is replacing HAI?  What about lighting?  Would like to remove my VRC0P-1LW.  Thanks. SJ

Back