HAI Omni Primary Cellular backup and house phone wiring

samsonite

Is this possible?

I have a vonage VOIP land line that does NOT work for Contact ID signals.  So, I have a DSC Cellular device that is wired as the only and primary communication to the omni panel via the red/green wires and it works great.  Is there any way to still connect my home phones to the Omni panel to retain the built-in phone control features?  I like paging my family through them.  I seem to get a busy tone on my phones if I hook up the omni panel to them via the brown and grey wires.  It seems like the the omni panel still tries to use the vonage line even though it's hooked up to the brown/grey wires.  Perhaps my rj11 connector is wired wrong?  I know most people aren't using POTS any longer so there must be someone who has this working?.?  Thanks!

Just thinking out loud here (in text), but what about using Asterisk / FreePBX?  I don't know much about FreePBX, but here is the idea.

You would set it up with both the VOIP and cellular devices as "outside" (FXO?  Trunk?) interfaces and your internal phones and Omni as "inside" (FXS?) devices.  I think that you can configure the PBX such that the Omni is associated with the cellular device (it always grabs that line when initiating a call). 

You might use two FXS interfaces for the Omni - one for incoming and one for when the Omni seizes the phone line.  Other phones could dial the Omni's incoming extension to use phone control (like you would from an outside phone).  (Can you configure the Omni to always answer and not need a passcode?  You would then apply some security at the PBX level (give it an unusual, 6-digit extension or something.)  When the Omni seizes the line, it could switch to the other port which is always associated with the cellular device.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd want a PBX between my security system and monitoring station, but something like that might do what you want.

The omni is going to require voltage on the back side of the relay to function locally as normal, so that would essentially be added as an extension, which is fine if the line is seized, however in the case of the line to not be seized, the phones are going to be backfed into the cellular, which is going to cause issues.

Can't have your cake an eat it. The house phones need to exist on the return lines (seized) and that's how the omni is also going to act. When remote control is active, the line is seized.

Ah!  Yes, you are right.  With the Omni making the connection, they would be bridged.

I'm not one to give up until I've banged my head bloody...

How about an external relay to connect the Omni to either the internal phones or the cellular modem.  The relay could be triggered with the sounder output during an alarm (or via some lines of code on an output pin). 

I suppose you'd risk triggering a phone line fault when it switched.  And it's a little Rube Goldberg.  Add a little duct tape, and it's ready to go!

Not advisable. One thing you really don't want to mess with is the line seizure relay and the path to the CS. Safety is paramount, the convenience factor or other items is secondary.

What about using a 2 line telephone? Primary line connected to the Vonage VOIP ata adapter and the other connected to the panel via brown and gray wires. Shouldn't this theoretically seperate the lines? I suppose the phone would need 2 physical jacks to have a chance of working.

Back