HAI programming for PIM 36A00-1 . . . on a mac . . . with USB :)

ddprocter

Hey Folks, 

I recently moved into a home where the prior owner set up a HAI PIM 36A00-1, Omni Pro and HAI switches.  

Had a couple questions: 

1) I don't have a PC any more (no less with a serial port).  Has anyone had any luck with Upstart on a Mac with a Windows Virtual Machine (Virtual Box, specifically, is free).  Worst case I can get an ultra cheap Windows net-book with USB.  

2) Connecting to USB: Can I buy any RJ45 -> USB cable on Ebay, or, do I have to buy the HAI PIM->Serial cable, and then a Serial -> USB adapter?

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

1) I don't have a PC any more (no less with a serial port).  Has anyone had any luck with Upstart on a Mac with a Windows Virtual Machine (Virtual Box, specifically, is free).  Worst case I can get an ultra cheap Windows net-book with USB.  

A couple of years ago I set up an Oracle Windows Virtual box on a MAC to run Upstart and PCA.  Worked fine using a common chipset USB to Serial cable.

Relating to Upstart a PCS UPB PIM with USB cable will work fine for your needs.  

ddprocter said:
Hey Folks, 

I recently moved into a home where the prior owner set up a HAI PIM 36A00-1, Omni Pro and HAI switches.  

Had a couple questions: 

2) Connecting to USB: Can I buy any RJ45 -> USB cable on Ebay, or, do I have to buy the HAI PIM->Serial cable, and then a Serial -> USB adapter?

Thanks for any help you can provide. 
Windows PC's are so cheap, just buy one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/Windows-PC/s?k=Windows+PC

You can spend under $150.  I did that several years ago, bought a Windows 10 PC for like $60.  Demands of PCAccess, and UpStart are pretty minimal. 

A cheap or secondhand PC laptop will work as well. Its not like you will be using it everyday.

Back