HAI RC-80 madness

both red->green and and red->blue report around 25.8V-26V when the furnace is running, with backlight on. When I turn the furnace off, both voltages go back to 26.5V (with just the backlight on).

I have good news, and bad news.

First the good: you shouldn't have a power issue. It appears both blue and green are doing a fine job of keeping the thermostat fed while the heat is on.

And the bad: that means I haven't a clue about what's going wrong! :blink:

I can only think of two things right now. Maybe the thermostat is picking up a good breeze of warm air from a nearby vent? Or something in the thermostat is getting too warm (thinking relay drive circuit here) and skewing the temp sensor?

Jerry

I had (this was some years ago so I hope my memory is accurate) a similar problem with an RC80. Resolved it by using the thermostat to operate a relay which then switched the furnace. I believe the load drawn by the furnace caused the thermostat to operate unreliably.

Make sure the backlighting is set to timed. (jumper)

My RC80 reports too high temperatures when the backlighting is set to continous. There may be some heat build-up from those nice blue LEDS.

Regards,
Erwin

These blue LEDs only turn on for a few seconds when I hit a button, I can't imagine having these on 24/7.

Looking at your pics, it looks like your T-stats are in diferent locations. Could it be that one is in a warmer area than the other? That is what happens in my old drafty house. T-stats have to be set higher so the house feels like the right temp. and some areas feel warmer. With the power seeming to be OK, thats all I can come up with without blaming the equipment. (I find equipment faulty a lot less than pilot error or bad install.) Good luck, be sure to post the solution. You've got my curiosity up now.

CDC

It's actually the same location, just added some wallpaper ;) If the thermostat wasn't able to draw enough current, would I see low voltages? The voltages check out fine, just wondering if it's a current issue or not.

electron said:
If the thermostat wasn't able to draw enough current, would I see low voltages? The voltages check out fine, just wondering if it's a current issue or not.
Exactly. If it were drawing too much current, you'd see voltage drops on the fan and cool circuits.

I was wondering about the anticipation stuff. Have you verified that it's turned completely off? I don't know exactly how it behaves, but from the way the manual reads I could possibly see it doing this - especially if it's cranked to one of the higher values.

But if that isn't it, I'd have to say that it looks like it's time to contact HAI.

Jerry

I did turn it off to make sure, with no change in the results. It wouldn't explain why it's reporting the wrong temp anyways. Thanks for confirming the voltage/current thing!

I had to remove the jumper on all mine to disable the backlighting before they would work reliably. There just wasn't enough current to power 3 RC-80s (3 zones). Any time the backlighting came on the unit wouldn't get enough power, and then reset itself.

Yea that is a known issue. However, mine isn't resetting, and I did run a seperate wire to connect the C terminal on my furnace to the C terminal on the thermostat. I removed it from the wall. I am very disappointed that it is this hard to do HVAC automation, especially considering the thermostat is only supposed to use 35mA (I still don't believe it's a power issue). Guess I should check on the warranty.

Back