HAL/voice recognition and M1?

fleetz

I have noticed that ELk have HAL as one of there "Manufacturing Partners" on their website. I hear of HAL but on the forum here it seems low down on UI.

Was wonder if members are using HAL or is there any other voice recognition alternative with M1?

I am currently finalising the selection of how I am going to control my ELK M1 in a new house I am building. Thought a bit of voice recognition (VR) might give a WOW factor to the WAF who currently is seeing money disappearing down a black hole at the moment! :)

1. How does HAL and ELK M1 integrate? Serial or LAN? It the M1 mapped in the HAL and the rules written within HAL?

2. How accurate is the voice recognition engine within HAL? I am an Aussie will it have any issues in the learn mode.....we speak differently evidently!! ;)

3. I propably want the level of voice recognition control to co-exist with possibiliy another control surface. Is this possible or does HAL want absolute control? Which version would be an entry level?

4. Is there a demo version that can be downloaded that would allow M1 to and HAL (whichever version) to be fully trialled?

5. Is there any other VR that I should be looking at?

Should also mention I would like to use the house phones as the audio input, don't want to wire the house with Audio too.

Thanks,

Fleetz

In general HA terms, HAL offers a bunch of features, including VR, all the standard home automation timers and condition event processing, voice scheduling, built-in voicemail and call screening features. Everything sets up using straightforward wizards, with no learning or programming in an application-specific script language required.

HAL's advantage in your application is its speaker-independent voice recognition, which does not require any kind of training. If you speak with a strong accent, that feature might turn into a disadvantage. You should try out the 30 day demo to make sure you two can understand each other.

I'm using HAL here but not tied to an Elk, so I can't speak to any integration opportunities/challenges. In my experience, you see more conversation on CocoonTech regarding the Elk, HomeSeer, and CQC. For HAL-specific questions, you'll usually find more information on the HAL forum on Automated Living's website.

Tom

fitzpatri8 said:
In general HA terms, HAL offers a bunch of features, including VR, all the standard home automation timers and condition event processing, voice scheduling, built-in voicemail and call screening features. Everything sets up using straightforward wizards, with no learning or programming in an application-specific script language required.

HAL's advantage in your application is its speaker-independent voice recognition, which does not require any kind of training. If you speak with a strong accent, that feature might turn into a disadvantage. You should try out the 30 day demo to make sure you two can understand each other.

I'm using HAL here but not tied to an Elk, so I can't speak to any integration opportunities/challenges. In my experience, you see more conversation on CocoonTech regarding the Elk, HomeSeer, and CQC. For HAL-specific questions, you'll usually find more information on the HAL forum on Automated Living's website.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for you experience with HAL.

I am aware of the Automated Living forum I have been trying to post there for the last 24hrs but I keep getting an error and have no way of reporting it. I have off course read a number of posts there where M1 is mentioned a number of times.

I do intend to have a go at the 30 day trial but only after I understand some of the set up and configuration issue are identified so I can get the best from the trial. Things like the microphone / phone input to HAL, if you don't have the right set up ready you can loose a chunk of the 30 days fluffing around.

I am hoping that there are M1/HAL users on the forum that can assist in better understanding how the two work together.

I still intend to have touch screen interface and possibly HAL sitting as a supporting control interface. I am using a Viking C-1000-B as gate and door control which uses the house phones as the controller so extending the phones to do some other automation control makes practical sense. The fact the you kindly pointed out that HAL is speaker-independent is neat and a tick in their box.

You post certainly has me seeking more HAL/M1 information.

Cheers,

Fleetz

As far as HAL voice recognition goes, I think it's probably the best one that I have heard.

As far as Elk integration goes, HAL is probably way down on the list. The reason I say this is because HAL currently uses the main serial port of the Elk for integration. That will mean that you can't add the ethernet expansion on the Elk. Other packages like HomeSeer, MainLobby, and CQC use the Elk ethernet to connect.

compuguru said:
Fleetz,

If you still have problems posting on the AL forum, I can post it for you.
Thanks for the offer, I am working with Greg the Tech Support guy at HAL to sort this out. I can add to existing posts but starting a thread is the issue.

Appreciate your offer.

Regards,

Fleetz

AutomatedOutlet said:
As far as HAL voice recognition goes, I think it's probably the best one that I have heard.

As far as Elk integration goes, HAL is probably way down on the list. The reason I say this is because HAL currently uses the main serial port of the Elk for integration. That will mean that you can't add the ethernet expansion on the Elk. Other packages like HomeSeer, MainLobby, and CQC use the Elk ethernet to connect.
Hi Martin,

Game set match....thank you linesmen and ball boys! HAL is definitely out the game tieing up Comm 0 port. I need the ethernet capability.......surely if they are only interfacing to M1 at a sensor, arm and disarm level a XSP serial expander is all that is required.

Anyway I suspect I know why HAL is not mentioned too much. Thanks for pointing this out you have save me a bucket of time!

Regards,

Fleetz

electron said:
You can use the free HW_VSP software to add support for Ethernet to HAL.
Hi Electron,

Now you have me interested again. Can you point me to the HW_VSP?

Regards,

Fleetz

electron said:

**** Electron...please ignore this post see next post.....wasn't thinking****

Thanks Electron,

Appreciate the link I have downloaded the virtual serial port and establish a link with my M1 no problem.

If I have a TS-07 which is also connected do you know if the virtual serial port will work at the same time? They both would I assume connect via the non secure port 2101 on the ELK M1. Is the a valid operating condition?

I realise that if you connect to the ELK via ELKRP that you would not be able to communicate to M1.

Just wondering what the situation would be if ELKRM and or an ELK TS-07 are connected whether there is a conflict with the virtual serial utility talking on the same IP and port?

Ideally would like HAL (via virtual serial port) and the other ELK ethernet interfaces (Not RP) to work seamlessly....is this possible?

Regards,

Fleetz

Don't know what I was thinking when I sent the last post!

Set the virtual serial port up ran RM and TS-07 sent some ASCII via a utility having set the com port and settings and they all live on the non secure 2101 port no problems.

I therefore see that HAL would have no issue.

Cheers,

Fleetz

It should work, I think I tested up to 3 simultaneous connections with hw_vsp. Glad to see you got it all working.

The deeper I dig the more twists I find.

I noticed that to get HAL's attention via the phone you dial # the only problem I have is I am using a Viking intercom/door entry system (model C-1000B) which also uses # instruction. Viking use it to either disconnect or dial the door station.

So in this case I would wake HAL up but also annunicate the HAL instruction to the door station unit on HAL.

The complete Viking instruction set is here http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/pdf/c-1000b.pdf

Is there a work around that makes a workable solution so that both can work without clashing?

Cheers,

Fleetz

Back