Hallway night lights

I used to live in a house that had a stairway like that sic0048 posted, with the same lights.  I had the Omni panel bring them up to 20% over a very slow period (like 15 minutes) "20 minutes before when dark" so that by the time the sun really went down you had a faint glow over the stairs.  Same thing in the morning, slowly fade them out.

It worked great, in fact we re-used the UPB dimmer toggle for the stairs for a different light that really needed a 3-way, and just the Omni handle the stairway lighting.

Here is a picture of how I did the lights.  I put my camera down shooting basically straight up to get this shot.  When they are off, you can't see them except if you put your head down on the stair tread and look up and under the tread above.

If I were to do it again, I would route a groove the entire length of the thread and install some of the roll out led's in the groove.  But those didn't exist when I did this.  I'll have to shoot a night time photo of them, but it is day now.

IMAG0435.jpg

The pic I posted is a face plate with embedded LEDs.
It's decora size, so any decora device is in the middle.
A switch, outlet, GFCI, UPB, etc.
The one in the pic looks like a normal snap switch.
I think they have a double hang version too.

It can be wired to come on only when the switch is off, for use as a night light, or constant on.
I have them at several key outlets around the Ouse.
I like them because they don't take up an outlet or extra room.
I use the green LEDs for better night navigation.

I've been using them for 6 years with no problems.

Desert_AIP, the ones on the site are different than the one you showed on the first page. And, I can't access the Photo Gallery from that web site.

I also put in those half-outlet/half LED lights - Mine are Leviton as well; they're LED and they get brighter as the room gets darker - but they're never really bright - just enough to see where you're going.  Note - they also make those in a full single gang with no outlet if you like that better

I did the same using the "backlight" style "glow plates".   These just are on 24/7 and are not noticible.   These are in all of the bathrooms. 

In addition though I added 3X5" style glow plates which provide more light and these are almost now in every room in the house along with all of the hallways.  These are not switched but barely noticible unless the room is dark. These look a bit like LCD backlights and the larger ones provide more light.  There is no reason to automate these. 

In addition both I have added rechargable tiny LED flashlights (small fooprint) which go on with a power failure all over (both in FL and IL).  (think I did that last year purchasing these in bulk at a reasonable price).

Back