Harmony 628 Remote Control : $39.99 @ Tiger Direct

I have that remote and absolutely love it. It's the only Harmony that the buttons have enough separation to comfortably use in my opinion. Couple this with the Web based software and you have a killer combo.

I do not know that Dan. Hopefully someone with MCE will chime in. I know you can teach any button on the remote a new function from another remote.

Rupp;

Do you have to "hold" this remote at your equipment while it performs "macros"? Is that a problem? How long do you have to aim the device at the equipment once you initiate a macro?

That seems to be the only complaint I have read about on the Harmonys (which is why they came out with the RF device). ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
Rupp;

Do you have to "hold" this remote at your equipment while it performs "macros"? Is that a problem? How long do you have to aim the device at the equipment once you initiate a macro?

That seems to be the only complaint I have read about on the Harmony's (which is why they came out with the RF device). ;)
Yes you do and this was in fact a problem for my parents whom I bought one of these for. I now lay it on the couch and punch the button and wait till the light goes out. This is not a unique problem to this remote but any remote that does IR. With several devices, all found in the Harmony database, I wouldn't trade this remote for remotes costing hundreds more. The we based software is really nice once you get the hang of it as well.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Rupp;

That seems to be the only complaint I have read about on the Harmonys (which is why they came out with the RF device). ;)
Yes you do. I have two harmony remotes. The 880 works fine with the Media Center. As does the 520 I have (although I have a problem with it turning on/off my tv automatically which is part of its basic functionality). I suspect a call to tech support will clear that one up.

The MCE functionality and mapping should be the same so you should be able to use it. You just use the application to add a MCE device and a 'watch media center' activity.

WayneW said:
Paul said:
electron said:
Looks like some other retailers have this remote for the same price as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066FHH...7305702?ie=UTF8
you'll notice on that amazon that underneath the price it says

Ships from and sold by TigerDirect.
when I go to that Amazon link it says "Ships from and sold by Electronica Direct." I wonder if that is a regional thing?
I see 3 options on the amazon page. The "ships from" says TigerDirect, but on the right it gives me options for Electronica Direct at the same price and Amazon for $44.88.

Rupp,

Do the 628 has the buttons to control a DVD/VCR palyback? I read in a forum that it was simlar to the 659 (which I love) but without those buttons. Is this true? What do you do then?

BSR,

While still an IR remote, I think Harmony setup lets you change the wait time betweens devices and probably between commands too. Its programmed to wait a period between devices because some devices get blind when they receive commands not intended to them. I'm sure that the default setting is very conservative. You could experiment with the setup. It works for us...well, actually it works pointing in any direction except when blocking the direct path.

Back