Has anyone had experience with the OnQ Cat5 Cameras?

Sacedog

I am still trying to determine what type of camera system to put in my new home, and would really like to run a single Cat5 to each camera. So that narrows my choices down to IP cams, or traditional cams using baluns on either end. I prefer the latter solution, as it is much more flexible overall.

In my search, I came across both the Leviton and OnQ Cat5 camera systems (built in baluns, with a balun hub in the can). They both seem to offer what I need, however, neither one of them provides a complete line of cameras. For example, OnQ has only 1 color camera from its lineup of 5 different models.

Has anyone used these products, and if so, would you use them again? Does anyone know if the cameras are interchangable between the two systems?

Sacedog,

I recently sold a 4 camera On-Q setup with modulators to a remote customer. The system hasn't been installed yet, so I can't comment on their satisfaction with the system.

On-Q does have a live demo that shows feeds from 4 of their different camera models which are piped through their IP camera server (use 'demo' for both user & password:
http://209.50.173.119:1000/

I've used some of the older Leviton Decora cameras in my own home. These run power over CAT5, but still require coax for the video signal. I wasn't too pleased with the CMOS based image of these cameras. Don't have any experience with the newer Leviton cameras that work over a single CAT5 and can't comment if the ON-Q and Leviton devices can work with each other?

I'm not much of a camera guy, so hopefully someone else with more experience can assist...

Cheers,
Paul

After reading through both product manuals, I still am not sure if they would be compatable with each other. The OnQ feeds 12vDC power through the Cat5 using 3 of the pairs, and the Leviton feeds 15vDC in the same way. The wierd part is that the power supply for the Leviton is 12v, and it says that the baluns at the camera side "down-convert" the 15v to 12v. Why would they send 15v over the Cat5, if each end uses 12v? Is there less loss?

Anyway, I will probably end up with traditional cameras with baluns on either end, but I do like the simplicity of the Leviton and OnQ systems, and the wife likes the Decora camera for indoors. That is probably my biggest decision maker; the look of the cameras. My wife doesn't want ugly cameras all around the house. I will actually only have one inside the house...in the kids play room upstairs, and I saw AO had a decora camera.

Anyway, I am still interested to see if anyone has had hands-on the OnQ or Leviton camera systems, or maybe post some pictures of some attractive cameras. :rolleyes:

The wierd part is that the power supply for the Leviton is 12v, and it says that the baluns at the camera side "down-convert" the 15v to 12v. Why would they send 15v over the Cat5, if each end uses 12v? Is there less loss?

I think Techtronix does the same thing with their touch screens.

The OnQ feeds 12vDC power through the Cat5 using 3 of the pairs, and the Leviton feeds 15vDC in the same way. The wierd part is that the power supply for the Leviton is 12v, and it says that the baluns at the camera side "down-convert" the 15v to 12v. Why would they send 15v over the Cat5, if each end uses 12v? Is there less loss?
You will get a voltage drop over long runs. By putting in a higher voltage and dropping it down to the required voltage at the end, you can use longer runs. If you start with 12v, by the time you get to the camera you will have less. The 15v guarantees that you can use a long run without dropping below the voltage required for the regulator.

The actual cameras may use a lower voltage internally (converting the 12v). The OnQ may be using 12v because it drops it to something lower internally anyway.

Nice equipment, but their stuff seems pretty high-end, and geared toward commercial use. I'm looking for something a bit more simple.

Last year, I installed a system at my company, using 18/2 - RG6 cables to each camera, and it works well. It just seems that everything is going toward Cat5 in the home, and I would rather pull Cat5 for the cameras. I suppose I could pull both types of cables, but that seems like a waste of money is Cat5 will work.

I just figured I'd give Sacedog something to look at as far as flexibility, 19 housings, 10 cameras, and 9 lenses in a modular system.

There is nothing wrong with them, just not the cheapest for the same level of performance.

I will say this though, even if you were born yesterday those suckers will probably still be chugging along when you die. :rolleyes: They are a solid product, I think sometime Honeywell will realize they have priced themselves out of the market and regroup.

Those interchangeable housings are super cool.

[In my search, I came across both the Leviton and OnQ Cat5 camera systems (built in baluns, with a balun hub in the can). They both seem to offer what I need, however, neither one of them provides a complete line of cameras. For example, OnQ has only 1 color camera from its lineup of 5 different models.

Has anyone used these products, and if so, would you use them again? Does anyone know if the cameras are interchangable between the two systems?]
[/quote]

I am using the Greyfox cat5 camera system in my newly contructed home. It looks just like the OnQ system (branded differently). The B/W bullet camera is model 2284 and it seems relatively unobstrusive as one monitors the front door and another one for the driveway. The night vision picture looks good to me. I have a street light one house away. Currently, the video is modulated to my TV. As soon as I learn how to ty this all into HA, it should be sweet.

I would have no issues using this system again, but I also have no real comparisons. This is my first home security camera system.

I am using the Greyfox cat5 camera system in my newly contructed home. It looks just like the OnQ system (branded differently). The B/W bullet camera is model 2284 and it seems relatively unobstrusive as one monitors the front door and another one for the driveway. The night vision picture looks good to me. I have a street light one house away. Currently, the video is modulated to my TV. As soon as I learn how to ty this all into HA, it should be sweet.

I would have no issues using this system again, but I also have no real comparisons. This is my first home security camera system.

Thanks for the feedback bingl. Do you just have the one camera? Also, how does the modulation work? Do you just have to switch input sources on the TV to view the camera, or do you have to change channels?

Thanks for the feedback bingl. Do you just have the one camera? Also, how does the modulation work? Do you just have to switch input sources on the TV to view the camera, or do you have to change channels?
[/quote]

I have one camera for the front door and another separate camera showing the driveway. The two cat5 cables are home runned to the structured wire box in my closet with its own patch panel(?) which supplies the power to cameras (via cat5). Then the video(s) feed goes to the modulator box (via RCA cable) which exists just to convert the video into a TV channel. From the mod. box goes a single rg6 cable which splits into 2 separate r6g's feeding 2 TVs. All this mess is happening centrally at the structured wire box.

I have dedicated rg6 cables to TVs just for the security camera feed. If you have "unused" TV cable channels for the modulator to tune into, you can use the same rg6 cable feeding your TV. In that situation, you "change channels". I don't apparently so I "change sources". I have only read about using filters to wipe out TV channels so they can be used for the modulator.

One rg6 feeds my cable set top box which connects to TV via component RCA. Another rg6 (camera) goes directly into the TV. The actual TV tuner is set to channel 65 (example only). Then its just a matter of using my single remote to switch input sources...cable, DVD player, TV (which is showing the cameras). The system "scrolls" thru the 2 separate camera views. No split screens.

This system was home builder installed. I had two choices...this or nothing. I am trying to learn HA which should bring this all into a PC which is a totally different animal (I think). If this explanation is confusing, its only because I am confused. Learning as I go. I would use this system again (in a HA enhance format). Works just like it should.

I just installed two of the Greyfox / OnQ Cat5 B/W bullet cameras. Right now, while the house is under construction, they are hooked to the video distribution module and then to a PC, which is acting as a video server. When I move in they will be hooked up to the Greyfox in-wall LCD monitors. They work fairly well, but I don't have much to compare them with. I can send a link to the video server if you PM me.

Back