Has anyone seen a plug in 120V relay?

The nightlight idea is cool, but i don't know if a phototransistor would handle the current i need. There is no way I would pay $60 for that contact closure but that's what i need. The wall wart plus relay sounds the most reasonable, but I really hate to do an appliancelinc relay to switch a wall wart to switch a low voltage relay just to get a contact closure. I might just stick with the X10 and wait for the Insteon module to come out. upstatemike, why did you say the appliancelinc was not conducive to hacking? I only have the lamplincs and i haven't even opened one up yet. Seems like it would be simple to dremel off the traces to the relay and solder two wires and bring them out of the case.

As best I recall from looking at similiar X-10 modules, the relay contacts did not go to a trace so much as to a big glob of solder that included the relay tab and the back of the switched receptacle. Sort of dual purpose electrical connection and mechanical mount. Maybe the Insteon modules are more hackable, I haven't opened one.

Oh ok the Insteon modules are way cleaner and do have traces (at least from the lamplinc module i have opened).

If you do take the ApplianceLinc v2 apart. The coil of the internal relay is a 120 volt one. Use care in the hack.
I have blown a few of them with simple 14 watt under counter flourescent lights and CFLs by TCP. Seem the two in series capacitors [C17 &C18] across the relay contacts for some protection. Short out and if the load tries to go through them it Smokes. ;)

Back