Hauppauge HD PVR Component Video Encoders now available!!!

CollinR

Thats right they are for real and are now for sale.

Click to Hauppauge Website

PVR-HD_diagram_back_s.gif

hd_pvr_front_medium.jpg

"Hauppauge Website" said:
Record your high definition TV programs to your PC, using high quality H.264!

HD PVR model 1212

HD PVR is the world’s first High-Definition video recorder for making real-time H.264 compressed recordings at resolutions up to 1080i. HD-PVR records component video (YCrCb) from cable TV and satellite set top boxes, with a built-in IR blaster to automatically change TV channels for scheduled recordings. Audio is recorded using AAC or Dolby Digital.

The recording format is AVCHD, which can be used to burn Blu-ray DVD disks. Two hours of HD recordings, recorded at 5 Mbits/sec, can be burnt onto a standard DVD-R or DVD-RW disk for playback on a Blu-ray DVD player.

The HD PVRs amazing recording quality allows personal archival of your favorite high definition TV programs from any component video HD set top box. The HD PVR also has standard definition composite and S-Video inputs so you can record your old home video tapes into an AVCHD format for creating Blu-ray DVD recordings.

Features

*Built-in hardware H.264 high definition encoder, for high performance, high quality TV recordings
*Component video input from most high definition cable TV and satellite TV receivers. Optical or stereo audio inputs
*Record high definition video at up to 1080i resolution, 720p or VGA/D1
*Record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs, constant and Variable Bit Rate
*Blu-ray format AVCHD recordings, so you can burn your TV recordings onto a standard DVD disk (up to 2 hours of video at 5MBits/sec) and playback on Blu-ray DVD players
*Includes HD software video player, so you can playback recordings to your PC screen
*Audio / Video component video loop through to allow HD recording and viewing at the same time
*High Performance Noise Reduction Function
*NTSC,PAL and SECAM Support
*IR receiver for remote control
*IR Blaster to change the TV channels in your set top box

Specifications

*Hardware encoder
*H.264 AVCHD video encoder
*Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec (user selectable)
*Recording format: up to 1080i from component video (YCrCb)
*Size: 19.8cm wide x 17.3 cm deep x 7 cm high
*Power: 5V at 2 amps
*Weight: 1 lb, 3 oz

System Requirements

Processor Requirements (minimum):
Dual core CPU
Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater) Note: the playback of high definition H.264 requires a fast CPU and at least 256MB of graphics memory
Sound card
Included with the HD PVR
HD PVR high definition personal video recorder, USB
Remote Control Including batteries
IR Blaster transmitter cable
Component video cable set
Audio cable set
Bundled software applications
Arcsoft “TotalMediaExtreme†for video capture, preview, playback, and authoring and burning your TV recordings onto a Blu-ray DVD compatible disc
Arcsoft “TotalMedia Theaterâ€, a video player so you can play back your TV recordings to your PC screen
Arcsoft “MediaConverter†, to convert your HD recordings onto other formats
Includes Hauppauge's WinTV scheduler for scheduled TV recordings
Input and outputs
Component video input and loop through output
Optical audio Input and loop through output
Left/ Right RCA audio input and loop through output
Composite video and S-Video Inputs (on front panel)
Left/right audio input (on front panel)
IR Blaster output
USB2.0 High speed Device

A bunch of the CQC'ers already bought one (or more), we can report back with our findings. They won't ship until 5/1, but i've already got DirecTV coming on Friday to do the HD upgrade.

Sweet.

Will probably wait though until I see how this will work with Sage... something has to communicate with this AND your external device to coordinate everything.

I'm an early adopter generally, but not the first. I think I'll wait and make sure Sage is supporting it :)

There is a long thread on the Sage forums about this new tuner, you have probably seen it.

In that thread is a link to an interview with a Sage developer stating that Sage will support it upon release or shortly there after.

The speculation is that Sage has a beta unit in hand to work with.

Schawing! Sorta.

After several user-errors due to the total lack of instructions in how to setup an HD-PVR, it's both recording HD inside SageTV and playing back through the HD100 extender. Only watched 60 seconds so far, done some skip ahead/backs, no issues yet. I did set output resolution to 720p.

The one thing I didn't get working was control of the STB. I bought an extra Paterson serial-USB controller hoping it could handle the HR21, also couldn't get IR blasting to work. Didn't try much though.

In the end, here's what I should have done:
1) Install & connect HD-DVR
2) Install all software on the CD
3) Upgrade SageTV to latest beta (6.4.4)
4) Upgrade HD100 to beta firmware

I know, it all sounds simple enough, but it took a while to figure out #2 & #4; i initially only thought the drivers were needed, but the ArcSoft decoders are also on that disc, they're just labeled as "Software" which made it sound optional.

tomorrow i'll deal with the channel changing. As of now, i'm stoked that i've got USA-HD getting recorded.

The odds of a 3TB RAID5 array in the near-term have just gone up tremendously....

I have been having fun using my HD PVR. I didn't try the IR portion because I use an Ocelot to change the channels on the STB.

This and the HD Extender were what I had been waiting for so I can finally get HD into the computer. I've got my Sage system running nicely now with 1 analog tuner, 1 STB running into the SVideo of another card (will be replacing it with an HD PVR at some point) and the HD PVR with the HD STB. Also I have 2 HD100 HD Extenders and just got a new widescreen LCD for the bedroom.

So now I have setup a 3TB raid array and ripped all my DVDs so I only have to have the TV, receiver/amp and the HD Extender in the living room. And only 1 remote :)

For once I opted to be a late adopter :) I've been using the SVideo output of my HD satellite boxes into Sage and the picture is very good... much better than SD via Satellite (I know, it's not true HD, but it's very good). I'll be adding HD-PVR soon, probably once Sage releases the software (not beta). My system has been so reliable that I don't want to touch it... despite the little devil on my shoulder telling me to! :)

Well, i've been taking my HD-PVR setup in baby steps. As mentioned above, step 1 was to install the HD-PVR and hook up the DirecTV STB, leaving it on USA-HD. Step 2 was going to be to enable the HD-PVR IRBlaster, but after some SageTV forum threads reporting hassles with that I may wait another week when I won't need the USB-UIRT anymore on my other PC, and move it to the server room.

It recorded fine today with several hours of Law & Order, but there was no channel changing needed.

It plays back *almost* fine on one of my extenders, there's a slight judder perhaps every 7-10 seconds, enough to be annoying. It outputs optical to my Denon, i'll try again later tonight on the HDExtender that is hooked up via analog to my TV. There's some reports of folks having better success with different audio/video filters.

All in all, pretty decent for baby step #1, now I just need to get the channel changing and the judder eliminated.

check the SageTV forums, i'm pretty sure it will but there was some specific guidance. (i think one was you couldn't leave SageTV in service mode)

Back