Hauppauge MediaMVP Set Top Unit

Smarty

Quick question about Hauppauge MediaMVP Units:

After reading about these TV set top units, I still want to know if this product will allow me to watch (and pause and record) real time TV (viewed on the TV not the computer). This of cource assumes the set top unit will be networked to a computer that has a WinTV PVR card.

It SHOULD do this right?

It will allow you to do this if you have the appropriate software running on a remote server. The basic mediaMVP server will allow you to play video and music files that are stored on a server - but it will not interact with a TV card or live TV.

A commercial package that will allow you to do what you want is SageTV (I think it will play live TV through a MediaMVP). Look at the extender package from www.sagetv.com.

There are other programs that might also provide this capability.

I use an MVP and am quite happy with it - but I only use it to play back recorded video. I also use SageTV, but I've never tried using my MVP as an extender for Sage. It should work, I just haven't gotten around to it and it's a capability that I don't really need.

smee said:
A commercial package that will allow you to do what you want is SageTV (I think it will play live TV through a MediaMVP). Look at the extender package from www.sagetv.com.
I started using SageTV a few months ago after Meedio became part of Yahoo. I quickly purchased one MVP (off eBay). If it gives you guys any idea, I have just installed my second MVP and I am addicted !!!!

SageTV will allow you to view live TV through the MVP. In fact, the MVP will act as a full SageTV client.

As a perk, the licensing scheme requires only one license per client in use at a time.

Trial is available so it is well worth a try !

Smee - Given you already have an MVP and SageTV, you should really give it a try.

I just started playing with the package that makes Sage look like MCE. Would the extender/MVP allow the skin to be changed as well, or is only the basic one available?

I thought I saw a reference here on that but couldnt find it.

Mike said:
I just started playing with the package that makes Sage look like MCE. Would the extender/MVP allow the skin to be changed as well, or is only the basic one available?

I thought I saw a reference here on that but couldnt find it.
I beleive that skins are supported by the MVP as well, but I donèt know ... I have not ventured that far yet.

There is also a Media MVP plugin for Beyond TV that will allow you to watch/control recorded and live TV from your Beyond TV Server. Before I moved my main PVR into my Family Room, this is what I used.

Is anyone using the Hauppauge MediaMVP extenders with Sage? Can you watch live TV this way and schedule recroding etc with Sage using these extenders? They seem to be less expensive then the Sage extenders and compatible with MCE.

Digger,
As I understand it (I DON'T own one YET), the Sage hardware IS made by Haupauge (just rebranded).

However, if you use the Haupauge MVP, you will then need to buy an additional SAGETV client license ($30), while the Sage branded units come with this license.

Poof, there goes your cost savings.

What the licesnse does is allow you to have the Sage functionality (Live TV, remote control, programming guide etc) that the MVP does not have natively.

Ok stupid question.

How do you load the Sage Client Liscense on the MVP extender? I might be able to get the MVP's cheap. Still looking into that.

I don't think there is anything special about the MVP that Sage is selling.

When an MVP powers up, it goes out on the local network looking for its server. I assume that Sage sees this and identifies itself as the server. Anything that needs to be downloaded to the MVP is done from the server.

I have an MVP and Sage, but I haven't had time to test this. I don't think you need to worry about it, though. Sage was supporting MVPs before they started selling their extender.

The license is on the server, not on the MVP.

So technically I could have 8 extenders and 4 copies of the client license as long as we dont use more than 4 at a time.

That alone makes the MVP cheaper in the long run. If I can find them for $75 or under then its a tremendous savings.

Thanks for all of the assistance!

Digger said:
So technically I could have 8 extenders and 4 copies of the client license as long as we dont use more than 4 at a time.

That alone makes the MVP cheaper in the long run. If I can find them for $75 or under then its a tremendous savings.

Thanks for all of the assistance!
Yep, the licensing model for the MVP client is per concurrent use. As long as you don't use more MVP clients at a time than you have licenses, you can pepper the whole house with them.

As for the unit itself, the only difference is the license inclusion when you buy it from Sage. I purcahsed my two units off eBay for very decent prices (between $40 and $50 - just be patient). I just plugged them in, they loaded the software from the Sage server and BAM !!!

You should note that the newer MVPs have a coaxial digital audio out. While it is essentially useless today with the Sage setup, the Sage guys have hinted they are working on something - sounds like AC3 passthrough.

It is a great setup !

Sounds great.....

I just added a 300 gig harddrive to my old computer here and tomorrow I will try Sage from this computer as a server to my sons computer as a client. If that works I will buy an extender. If all of that works (and it should) then I will build and HTPC.

Now the one thing I have not seen for Sage is a 'My Movies' type setup. Personally I'm not that worried about it, as I planned on trying to use CQC for the movies.

If you are not going down such a route, it is the only 'drawback' I have seen. Granted you can use the folder view (and frankly I've been doing that for some time, even on MCE) and it is definitely workable.

I need to try one of these extenders, my only hesitation was the skinning, since the wife now loves the mce type skin. EDIT: But this will apparently work, so it should not be a consideration.

Back