Having the ELK Report the Violated Zone when Voice Dialing

I couldn't figure out a better way to do this, so if there is a better way, please chime in.  I self-monitor the Elk with email (using Elve) and with the voice dialing capabilities.

Having the system call my cell phone and announce the burglary message without telling me what zone seemed kind of useless so at the expense of about 10% of available Rules space, I did the following:

1. Set up voice messages for each zone using the Miscellaneous VMs (1-10) as well as overwriting a number of other VMs that I do not use.  Example, VM Miscellaneous 1 is set to something like "FRONT" "DOOR" "ALARM"

2. Whenever BURGLAR ALARM ANY AREA turns on
       Set Output 65 to ON

3. One rule for each Zone (where X is the zone number) - used to track the last zone violated:
  When Zone X becomes not secure
    Set Counter ZoneTripped to X  

4. Again, one rule for each Zone
  When BURGLAR ALARM ANY AREA TURNS ON
    AND Counter ZoneTripped = X
    Call (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and announce VMx   (The voice message that was configured to announce the violated zone, above)
    Set Output 65 to OFF

5. When BURGLAR ALARM ANY AREA TURNS ON
      AND Output 65 is ON
      Call (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and announce VM(Other Alarm)
      Set Output 65 to OFF

Output 65 and the 2nd and 4th items above are used to catch a zone that may have been missed in my rules.  So if I accidentally didn't include a rule to be triggered when a specific zone is tripped OUTPUT 65 will still be ON by the time the Elk gets to item #5 above and will call and just announce a generic message for an unknown zone.

I have only gone through limited testing on this but so far it seems to work pretty well.  Again, if there is a better way to do this I would love to hear it but I couldn't find any way to dynamically insert the violated zone into the Elk's voice message.

Back