Hello World...Looking for Home Security Suggestions

Hi guys, I'm new to this site. I found this while looking for some tips on how to improve the security to a new home we're planning to buy. There are already some security measure installed in the place, but I'm not convinced since we're not the first to be in that house and we're not really that familiar with what has been installed. You see, I'm just starting to build a family and their security is one of my priorities right now. 

I think you guys could help me... I'd love to hear suggestions from you. I'm also looking forward to sharing some of my ideas as well.

I hope I would have a great stay here.   

Welcome to Cocoontech! 

Can you tell us more about what security measures are currently installed?  It would be helpful to know what you have now and where you would like to end up when you upgrade.

What brand of alarm panel do you have (if any)?  Was the current system installed by a professional, or was it was homeowner installed?   Is it a hardwired system, or wireless?  What type of sensors are there, and where are they located?

Then, what do you want from a security system?   Do you want simple security functions or might you also like to expand into home automation at some point?  Do you want monitoring by a central station?  Internet access so you can arm and disarm the system remotely?   How about security cameras?

Tell us more about what you have and what you are thinking and then we can begin to help answer your questions.

Only cameras in the main and side doors and in the garden are installed. I want to add another camera in the garage. I also would like to extend security measures on windows including the basement windows.

Aside from cctv systems, I want to add a lighting and audible alarm systems and sensors. And would it be possible to integrate the systems so that I can have access to them over the phone and it can send me warnings if an intrusion happen even if I'm out?

Generally, what I want is a security that prevents intruders from breaking in but I don't want to overkill.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Not to do the broken-record thing, but an Elk has two-way voice interaction over the phone and can interface with lighting.  

Otherwise, alarm.com combined with some generic panels such as the GE's would have smartphone integration - I have no firsthand experience of that yet - their site is 150% marketing and 0% useful info, so I'm having one installed this week so I can evaluate it.

Security is a pretty simple concept - protect doors, windows; glass break's, motions...  you can keep adding layers and tightening them up.  The alarm panel choice is someone interchangeable when it comes to the most basic of security functions.

I agree. I'm also thinking of using ELK systems. My friends also suggested the same thing. Thanks for the second opinion.

I'm also interested in knowing your opinion about alarm com, I haven't known that much about it and if it works better than ELK, I might give it a try. 

Again, thanks.

I'm having it installed on a client's system right now - as soon as it gets installed I'll be able to give a better opinion.  I went that route for this client because honestly they don't want to do much interaction with the alarm, and they need it to work perfectly 100% of the time without upgrades or any work at all.  I like a little more control and I can handle minor hiccups so the M1 is fine for me (hiccups like managing the dyndns, an upgrade gone bad that loses my favorites, etc - minor but has happened 2-3 times in the last few years).  For this client they'll be connecting to a web service that'll always be there and their panel will have a dedicated GSM uplink to alarm.com so it should be about as user-friendly as possible.

I don't like that alarm.com is very marketing heavy - you almost can't find any information out - they want to collect your contact info and get you into their dealers who'll drive the hard sale; it's impossible to just get good technical info on what they offer, how it works, and what equipment is required.  That's why I just bit the bullet and ordered it; should it now work out as intended, an Omni2 or M1 will replace it in a heartbeat.

Work2Play said:
I don't like that alarm.com is very marketing heavy - you almost can't find any information out - they want to collect your contact info and get you into their dealers who'll drive the hard sale; it's impossible to just get good technical info on what they offer, how it works, and what equipment is required.  That's why I just bit the bullet and ordered it; should it now work out as intended, an Omni2 or M1 will replace it in a heartbeat.

When I was considering a 2Gig (alarm.com) system, I found that the forums at http://suretydiy.com were a really good source of info on the actual capabilities of the system.

Work2Play said:
I'm having it installed on a client's system right now - as soon as it gets installed I'll be able to give a better opinion.  I went that route for this client because honestly they don't want to do much interaction with the alarm, and they need it to work perfectly 100% of the time without upgrades or any work at all.  I like a little more control and I can handle minor hiccups so the M1 is fine for me (hiccups like managing the dyndns, an upgrade gone bad that loses my favorites, etc - minor but has happened 2-3 times in the last few years).  For this client they'll be connecting to a web service that'll always be there and their panel will have a dedicated GSM uplink to alarm.com so it should be about as user-friendly as possible.

It's your first time to try alarm com right? I hope it turns out good and your effort will not go to waste. As for me, I have little knowledge about security systems and I want the opinion of someone who knows well. 

I would be glad to hear your opinion about the product. Thanks

Back