Help! Dead CADDX board?

hucker

Everything has been running pretty smoothly for a while on the NX8E install. I recently added two smoke alarms and now the panel has a

Control Power Fault

error message. I have disconnected (and verified) the new smokes and they appear to be OK and of the same model as the other 4 that are installed and running. I verified that I get power at the AC terminals on the panel (19VAC) and the the battery is OK too (13.8V). I get the same message with mains unplugged.

The smokes I'm using have very low current draw 50ua so it would seem I'm not overloading anything.

I also can no longer get in with either the user code or the master code!

The web hasn't given me much help on this. I'm especially perplexed by the loss of BOTH codes.

Unless anybody has a great idea I'm inclined to spend the 90 bucks to buy a new board as I need to pass my fire marshall test here pretty soon!

My suggestion would be to start removing the wires to any device that uses power from the panel. Leave the keypad for last so you have an indicator if you fix the problem. I'm leaning towards a short somewhere. If you have an ammeter you might try reading the amps being pulled from the panel.

Everything has been running pretty smoothly for a while on the NX8E install. I recently added two smoke alarms and now the panel has a

Control Power Fault

error message. I have disconnected (and verified) the new smokes and they appear to be OK and of the same model as the other 4 that are installed and running. I verified that I get power at the AC terminals on the panel (19VAC) and the the battery is OK too (13.8V). I get the same message with mains unplugged.

The smokes I'm using have very low current draw 50ua so it would seem I'm not overloading anything.

I also can no longer get in with either the user code or the master code!

The web hasn't given me much help on this. I'm especially perplexed by the loss of BOTH codes.

Unless anybody has a great idea I'm inclined to spend the 90 bucks to buy a new board as I need to pass my fire marshall test here pretty soon!

My suggestion would be to start removing the wires to any device that uses power from the panel. Leave the keypad for last so you have an indicator if you fix the problem. I'm leaning towards a short somewhere. If you have an ammeter you might try reading the amps being pulled from the panel.

I removed all wires and extra keypads and it still does it. Current draw was very low about 100mA. Swapped in a new board and all is well (except that they charged me 200 bucks for it since I couldn't wait for AutomatedOutlet's $90 board! Ouch.

Glad you're up and running.

My guess is something on the board took a dump across the power supply. I've run into this in the past where a $0.02 capacitor shorts and brings the whole system down.

Shame you had to pay $200 for something that should have been well under $100. If you're keeping the old board you might try to locate the problem and use it for a spare.

I removed all wires and extra keypads and it still does it. Current draw was very low about 100mA. Swapped in a new board and all is well (except that they charged me 200 bucks for it since I couldn't wait for AutomatedOutlet's $90 board! Ouch.

It wasn't covered under warranty? I work for an alarm equipment manufacturer and we try and give the benifet of the doubt to the customer whenever possible and just swap the board. We give a 3 year warranty on most products. It sounded like you have a new install so I thought that GE would replace it free.

Back