Help me decide on remote temp sensor protocol

robolo

Been trying to decide on this for a while and research has left me more confused than ever.

Looking to use Automated Environment Systems flush mounted temp sensors.

AES has 2 versions of their sensor. The first is an analog version ATS2000A which I could directly connect to an ELK analog zone and I can create rules to perform appropriate action based on the zone voltage. I probably only need +/- 5 degrees accuracy. I am kind of leaning towards this option.

The second version ATS2000D provides a more precise digital output compatible with Dallas 1-wire and I would need to buy the additional hubs and such to connect to my CQC system. From what I understand there is a driver for CQC that supports 1-wire.

Can anyone provide me with an explaination of why you would or have choosen one option over the other?

Been trying to decide on this for a while and research has left me more confused than ever.

Looking to use Automated Environment Systems flush mounted temp sensors.

AES has 2 versions of their sensor. The first is an analog version ATS2000A which I could directly connect to an ELK analog zone and I can create rules to perform appropriate action based on the zone voltage. I probably only need +/- 5 degrees accuracy. I am kind of leaning towards this option.

The second version ATS2000D provides a more precise digital output compatible with Dallas 1-wire and I would need to buy the additional hubs and such to connect to my CQC system. From what I understand there is a driver for CQC that supports 1-wire.

Can anyone provide me with an explaination of why you would or have choosen one option over the other?

Be interested how you would get the ATS2000A into the ELK? Where in rules do you have an action based zone voltage?

This type of device is exactly what I am looking for to integrate into a new house I am building. If only these were able to be seen as temp zone sensors on the Elk!

Cheers,

Fleetz

So, I think these would work nicely with an ELK.

Spanky did a good job explaining the analog rules required at this post:
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4234

If you're going one-wire, and have even basic soldering knowledge, you should just buy the temperature sensors directly from maxim or a reseller. Unless you want that nice flush-mount appearance, in which case I'd still buy the 1-wire sensors and then just bury them in a low-voltage mud-ring ;)

The Elk M1's biggest shortcoming is their resolution with their analog to digital conversion as it's only eight bit. This means that you take their maximum voltage input allowed (14 volts) and divide that by 2 to the 8th power which is 256.

That yields a resolution of 14 volts divided by 256 = .055 volts which is 55 millivolts (mv). This means that a sensor would have to change by that amount of voltage to be "detected" by the Elk.

The analog temperature sensors you linked to will provide an output of 10mv/Degree F. This means that the temperature resolution the Elk would see would be around 5 Degrees F (which seems like the resolution you specified)

Also be aware though that the Elk inputs have an internal "pull-up" resistor that could affect an analog signal as well. I don't know if this would be a problem with these particular sensors. Maybe Spanky could give us some guidance on this one.

One other concern that you should note is for a typical room temperature of 70 Deg F the output of the analog sensor would only be 70 DegF times 10 mv/Deg F = 700 mv or 0.7 volts. You may want to consider the use of shielded cable so this signal is not affected by any electrical background noise.

Be interested how you would get the ATS2000A into the ELK? Where in rules do you have an action based zone voltage?

This type of device is exactly what I am looking for to integrate into a new house I am building. If only these were able to be seen as temp zone sensors on the Elk!

Cheers,

Fleetz

The way to write this rule is to have a time interval be the trigger. Such as "Whenever every X minutes and Zone XX analog value greater than XX volts then"... perform action. The analog value options become available after the zone is set as an analog zone.

This is going to determine whether to turn on/off radiant floor heating in a bathroom so measurements of room temp can be coarse.

Back