Help! No signal and noises from upb

rugao123

I have a few HAI dimmer switches installed and phase coupler installed by the electrician.  I downloaded the latest version of the Upstart software from Simply Automated.  The version I downloaded from HAI didn't work, because there was no choice to pick interface type.  I'm running the software on my laptop, I had to get an usb adapter for the HLC PIM to PC Modular Adapter (36A05-1), which has a female end.  I also see on amazon, they do carry a HLC PIM to PC modular adapter with a male end.  

I was able to connect to the PIM, sometimes it gave me error messages saying I need a updated firmware 3.5, my PIM firmware version is 1.04.  Most of times, it was ok, but has no signal and severe noise.  When I tried the network discovery, it did find multiple devices, few times actually showed device ids, but couldn't connect due to excessive noise.

When I tried a different outlet inside the house, no noise and no signal.  

Tried reset the PIM by resetting 5/10/2 using a needle, and configured in the Upstart software to set to pulse mode.

I have a main panel and two subpanels, the Phase coupler is installed in the main panel, the light is on (red).  

I also tried the dimmer setup mode (tap 5 times quickly with Led blinking), the Upstart still didn't detect it.

Also tried reset the dimmer switch (5/10/2).

Here is the deal. Maybe some people have claimed that the HAI PIM can be connected to a PC, but it almost never works. PIMs have two modes of operation with the HAI panel needing one mode and a PC using the other. Again I'm not saying it is impossible to get it work, but its really not worth it. Buy a serial or USB PIM and connect that to your PC, and use the other one, with the HAI cable to connect to the HAI panel. 

Maybe some people have claimed that the HAI PIM can be connected to a PC, but it almost never works.

I keep a second HAI PIM as a hot spare and online.  I have never had an issue connecting it to a serial port on a PC (10 years?).

I don't understand your statement? 

Yup here have an HAI UPB serial PIM plugged into a serial network server.  It works fine.  I did originally make up an serial cable for it for PC use.  That also worked fine.  I do leave the HAI UPB Serial PIM (another one) plugged into the HAI panel. 

I did initially have an issue with the very first HAI UPB serial PIM and didn't know that it was an issue until I plugged it into a PC via its serial port.

You could have a defective HAI UPB Serial PIM.  In addition to these two HAI PIMs I have an SA Serial PIM always online connected to the home automation server plus I keep a USB SA UPB PIM as a floater that works fine with the laptop.

Personally I would purchase another PIM.  (well two maybe).  One SA USB PIM for your laptop and an HAI Serial PIM to keep as a hot spare.  They are inexpensive and it'll save you the time and effort of playing around with the always connected HAI UPB PIM to the HAI panel.

You can then utilize the one USB UPB PIM to check out the noise problems if you want.

I too have 3 PIMs online - one for the Elk, one for Elve (soon to be homeseer) and one for the RUC/Programming (plus I do have a SA USB one but it never worked out right - it has a serial to usb adapter inside that never worked as well as just using my own Aluratek Serial to USB).  Everything works better when you're not in there messing with the PIMs and moving them around.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have read somewhere in the forum, people suggested to get Simply Automated PIM is better than HAI. So should I get the SImply Automated? Does SA referring to Simply Automated ? Thanks

Yup; SA is Simply Automated.

I wouldn't really say that the SA is the best as the technology roots are similiar or same.

I leave the HAI UPB PIM plugged into the HAI OPII panel, keep a spare one on line and utilize a serial and USB SA PIM.

The PCS USB PIM does emulate a serial PIM connection. 

Here too have HAI, SA and PCS UPB switches online and all talking just fine.

rugao123 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have read somewhere in the forum, people suggested to get Simply Automated PIM is better than HAI. So should I get the SImply Automated? Does SA referring to Simply Automated ? Thanks
Yes, use the HAI PIM to connect to the panel.  That works fine. To connect to a PC the Simply Automated PIM works good but there are some debate if it supports Gen II switches. Web Mountain sells the same PIM with revised firmware that does support Gen II. (Its called the SPIM-01) There is also the PCS PIMs. In my testing its the strongest signal, by far and does support Gen II.  The bad part of a strong signal is I have some lights flicker when it runs, but not bad.

Also, if you haven't heard, there is a running debate if Gen II (or Gen III for that matter) is better than Gen I.  Simply Automated has said no and only sells Gen I. The others sell Gen II or Gen III.  I have mainly Gen I and it works fine, but Gen II supports a repeater, which really does help, if you have one. You can run Gen I and Gen II together, but each have pros and cons in its own way.

Back