Help with ELO touchscreen...Its been a while.

TLCNORM

Haven't been around in a while. Life gets busy, work kids, life....

I installed an ELO touchscreen and had it running Windows XP quite well. My computer crashed a couple of months ago and I replaced it with a windows 8 machine. I didn't like how it worked at all. Its been a few months but I think the problem was that I couldn't swipe from the right to get the menu and I couldn't swipe in the corners. I also couldn't remember the program that I had for XP for an onscreen keyboard. It worked so well. It was called z something or other. I spent a lot of hours trying to work things out but finally gave up and returned the windows 8 machine. I was thinking of grabbing a windows 7 machine. Anyone out there upgrade to 7 or 8 and have any recommendations?

Thanks.

My touchscreen install is in my signature.

The swiping functions seem to depend on more current drivers and multi-touch functionality in the sensors.  Those may not be available with an older screen.  I've two new 8.1 machines and the touch functionality is actually pretty nice.  The 8.1 version is indeed a good improvement on 8.0, having tried both.

There are windows-key combinations to pull up most of what the gestures would provide.  

There's an on-screen keyboard built into 8.1 (as well as 7).  

I have an HP Optical touchscreen that I actually like quite a bit but recently hooked it up to a Windows 8 computer and found it less than ideal. The screen is very responsive and was pretty affordable for a 23" widescreen - but these new edge-swipe gestures kinda depend on being able to slide in right from the edge... Fine on a tablet but when you have a beveled edge due to the frame it's actually quite difficult to get ALL the way to the edge to trigger the action.

I haven't spent a lot of time researching but it would be nice to be able to adjust that edge a tad to be wider - but it hasn't become a huge issue yet since that screen would still work well for automation or for its current function - acting as a touchscreen for my kindergartener to do her educational games.

I'm just guessing that the OP's issue is the same - edge frame obstruction? Anyone know of a workaround for that?

Agreed, the edge-swipes depend on a flat bezel, which my units have (Dell all-in-ones).  I've no idea if you can tweak the edge width or not.  

Which, if you're in the market for an entry-level machine, these are Dell Inspiron 2330 from Microcenter, at $529 you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal on a pretty decently equipped setup.  Not the fastest things out there, of course, but perfectly suitable for the family's uses. 

Thank you both. Having a picture frame around the edge makes it tough to do anything along the edge. It was even hard to use the scroll bar on the side when you wanted to scroll down a webpage. Most of the time I had to open up windows then minimize them enough so that they were an inch away from the edge. I also didn't like the keyboard that came with windows 8..very small. I had one that overlaid the entire screen and was very transparent. I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Back