Help with Glass break sensors

project_x

I have removed my Honeywell Vista 20P and replaced it with an Elk M1. I have wired the new panel and started to test the sensors. The Doors and Windows all work as expected. I am having trouble with the GE Glass Break sensors. They are receiving 13.5V from Vaux. When I make a loud noise, clap my hands, ... the LED comes on but nothing happens. I have verified with my multimeter, the voltage is on the sensor, but get nothing when it trips. No EOL are in place.

BTW: I just assumed they worked in the original config with the 20P because the light came on, maybe they never worked correctly....

Any thoughts?

Have you looked up the manual on the sensors you have? With the GE models I have the function you're describing is the microphone test - clapping your hands will cause the light to turn on showing you the microphone is on and listening, but it won't trigger the glassbreak alarm. You really need a glassbreak tester for that.

I also tried jingling keys, same thing.

I can't seem to find a manual for the GE 5815-NT online, only sale brochures....

Here's the manual: http://www-fo.gesecurity.com/portal/GESDownload?ID=299&DID=299&documenttype=Installation%20Manual
And more info: http://www-fo.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=1184&seriesyn=true

Most glass breaks, in order to reduce false alarm trips, need to have a particular sound pattern before they will trip. A window breaking sound is what they need, but a glass-break simulator can also create that sound. The light you see means the sensor is listening and can hear but the sound is not right for tripping. I witnessed an experienced installer create a sound which tripped the sensor without a simulator. It was a clap followed immediately by a set of keys shaking vigorusly.

To trigger mine I had to clap so hard, my hands hurt afterward. Instead try getting two blocks of wood, hold one in each palm, and clap together (forcefully).

Does anyone have experience with 2Gig's glass break detector?

and, how does it compare with GE's?

I use a glass break test tool. It's basically just a digital recording of glass breaking. I've used the loud clap along with keys to trip them before also. With the honeywell detectors, that I've used, will turn green when the mic activates and red when alarm contact is closed.

Thanks,
Chris Clark

So all that is really needed, is someone to record the sound of glass breaking, or of a test tool and post the mp3 or wav......

So all that is really needed, is someone to record the sound of glass breaking, or of a test tool and post the mp3 or wav......

The ones we use are stand alone units. They have a speaker and the audio is already stored on the tester out of the box. It sounds just like glass breaking.

I would GUESS that the speaker/audio quality would need to be pretty good to get the frequencies required to set the detector off though.

You need to break a decent size window of non tempred glass or get the tester. They detect a pictilular residence frequency. Just because your play the sound of breaking glass does not mean it is really what the dector is looking for. If the LED lights when claped at it is setup right you can short the leads to test the alarm circut.

Back