Help with Somfy's new RTS universal interface

gf5300

As always, any help would be appreciated.
The task: interface an OPII with this devide (flyer attached).
I am using a Serial Connectivity Adapter Kit from HAI to make the connection. The DB 9 is being hooked to reverse gender DB 9 with a RJ 45 on the other end which plugs in into the Somfy device. Here is what the flyer says about the pinout configuration:

RJ45 Pinout
Pin 1,2: RS-485
Pin 3: Transmit (TX)
Pin 4,5: DC+
Pin 6: Receive (RX)
Pin 7,8: DC- (Ground for RS-232)
Pins 1&2, 4&5, 7&8 internally connected

I confess that I am absolutely ignorant about Rs 232 and RS 485. I have tried just about everything with no joy. Can anybody help with what goes where (pinouts)?
Thanks.

I am not familiar with either product, but it looks like that Universal RTS is a wireless interface to other devices, such as the Multi-Link. Do you have a wireless receiver? What products out of that flyer are you trying to connect?

The interface device is an Somfy RTS (Somfy's wireless protocol) transmitter with the capability of interfacing with HA systems so the blinds can be controlled through buttom switches or scenes.
Presently I control my blinds through handheld and decora style wall transmitters. They work 4.0.
The new interface controls up to 16 blinds. I have already programmed it to control all the blinds in the house (I have a total of 15 motorized blinds) manually. It woks great. In other words so far the interface does what it should do. It works from any spot in the house so RF is good.
What I am having problems with is the actual interface to the OPII (the new generation type). HAI has a serial connect kit (RJ 11 to DB9) that I am trying to tie to another DB9 with an RJ45 end (DBN9 to RJ45). The RJ 45 plugs into the Somfy device. However, I am having problems with that connection. The RJ 11 is a 4 wire cable. The RJ45 has 8. I can't figure it out. Maybe I am overlooking the obvious.
Thanks.

Well, this is a pure GUESS, but based on what you posted, I don't think you need to interface the RS-485 aspect of the RTS interface. You need (IMO) to interface just the serial port of the RTS to your HAI serial interface.

So if this were me, I would try connecting pins 3, 6, and 8 (TX, RX, and GND) of the RTS (serial interface part) to the HAI's RX, TX, and GND pins (TX goes to RX, RX goes to TX, GND goes to GND).

Hopefully someone who actually uses these products can chime in.

you are using the new 16 channel RTS from somfy. Do not connect any regular RS232 cable or device to it because it will Nuke your hardware (5 volt connector)
You have to buy an RS232 to RJ45 adapter and connect pin 3 to pin 2 and pin 6 to pin 3 and pin 7 or eight to pin 5

RJ45 Pinout
Pin 1,2: RS-485
Pin 3: Transmit (TX)
Pin 4,5: DC+
Pin 6: Receive (RX)
Pin 7,8: DC- (Ground for RS-232)
Pins 1&2, 4&5, 7&8 internally connected

Back