Help with Speaker Placement...

Aaron

I just upgraded to an Onkyo TX-SR805 with Audyssey XT and need help with rear channel speaker placement for my odd room.

Room is 36'x18' w/ 9' ceiling -- you can see that I have my rears pointed a bit 'in' to the room (angled down and to the center)... should I point them directly at my ears? I did not at first since the Rear Left has a wall right next to it and the Right is open.

interested to hear thoughts & ideas...

thx

MainRoom.gif

If using on wall, monopole speakers that are in line with the listening position, you will have a much more convincing "theater" sound if you point them across the plane (at each other) and firing over your head. If looking for a more localized sound field, then angle the speakers and hence the tweeters at your listening position. I would also recommend moving the 15" Velodyne into your ten inch sub's position and play with the 10" sub behind the single chair on the left hand side of the room. Pulling the 15" out of the corner will work wonders when trying to tighten up the lower freq's with a sub that large. There's no reason to load that sub. Plus you'll get much more even coverage by moving the second sub along the 1/3 point on the side wall. I think you'll find it's worth experimenting with.

I agree with Anthony's comments - I'd try pointing the rears at each other, and I'd move the subs.

Make sure you calibrate your amp properly. Most modern amps have a "speaker distance" setting which allows you to adjust for speakers not being symmetric.

Curious, what software did you draw your picture in? I'm getting ready to redesign my theater and planned on drawing it out first...

thanks for the advise. I'll aim them at each other and see how that is.

Wish I could easily move the 10" sub but there is no easy way to run a wire there.

guys, thanks for the input... I aimed the speakers facing each other but angled a bit down... where the center line of the drivers will still be over the head of the main viewing spot... sounds great!

there is no "requirement" for 2 subs... I use the 10" it fill in for the lower freqs of the front L&R and the 15" for only under 80Hz

Just curious why 2 subs are required? I've never seen a multi-sub setup.
It's actually very common. I attempt to get a minimum of two subs in almost all installs. The key is not in output but in uniform, musical coverage. Almost all of my clients, after hearing their new rooms set up to THX spec's ask me to boost the sub into distortion and the rear channels driven past the SPL of the front left and right. It drives me nuts but I don't have to live there. I just educate and relent. As for the subs, the ideal in most rooms is typically four but most clients won't spring for it. Two is a compromise and a single sub is the minimum. The idea is to have the subs run their full freq. range evenly over the entire room. This helps minimize peaks and nulls. Their is lot's of software available for calibrating rooms to the optimum available. You would be amazed at what a difference even only a second sub makes. This is a case of more, when properly set up and calibrated, IS better.

Just curious why 2 subs are required? I've never seen a multi-sub setup.
It's actually very common. I attempt to get a minimum of two subs in almost all installs. The key is not in output but in uniform, musical coverage. Almost all of my clients, after hearing their new rooms set up to THX spec's ask me to boost the sub into distortion and the rear channels driven past the SPL of the front left and right. It drives me nuts but I don't have to live there. I just educate and relent. As for the subs, the ideal in most rooms is typically four but most clients won't spring for it. Two is a compromise and a single sub is the minimum. The idea is to have the subs run their full freq. range evenly over the entire room. This helps minimize peaks and nulls. Their is lot's of software available for calibrating rooms to the optimum available. You would be amazed at what a difference even only a second sub makes. This is a case of more, when properly set up and calibrated, IS better.

I can tell you after running a single 15 for 9 years and then adding the small 10" 2 weeks ago, there is a HUGE difference in uniformity... this could also be attributed to the Audusey MultiEq too. My next room will definitely have 2 matching subs.

Back