Need urgent help with Whole Home Audio

bajeffs

I have 9 zones, 2 speakers each zone with a volume control ran in my home. I bought it with the speakers and controls already installed. It is a 2 story home with a finished basement. There are 2 zones in the basement, 3 zones on the main floor, 3 zones outside on the porches and garage, and 1 zone on the 2nd floor. The speaker wires all run to a home run media closet in the basement. Each zone appears to have a red, black, green, and white speaker wire running to the media closet (I am assuming the black and red wires go to 1 speaker and the green and white wires go to the other speaker in each zone).

I also have a 5.1 room attached to the media closet. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2 Channel receiver which has 3 zones and an OSD Audio DSM8 Dual Source Zone Speaker Selector to run the 5.1 and the whole home audio.

The problem I am having is I can connect a single stand alone speaker directly into the Zone 2 of the receiver and I get sound. When I connect any of the Zone wires I get nothing. I used a tester on one set of red and black wires and could find/hear/detect the sound in every zone speakers (which I thought was weird). I get full sound from the attached 5.1. Any ideas on what I need to do to make my whole home audio work? Do I need another amp with the speaker selector or could it be something else? Thanks in advance!

I think you first need to check your assumption the wiring colors. I'd probably pick a room and open both speakers in that room to see what the wiring looks like and then try hooking up like that @ the amp, one speaker at a time.

You mentioned controls in each room? Like volume controls? Then I would check to see that the LPADS are installed properly. Never assume the wiring is correcly installed if someone else did it.

Back