Home Automation Intro for mere mortals

elcano

I have been invited to talk about home automation in a radio show tomorrow afternoon. The mission of this radio show is to explain technology in an easy way for non-techies.

I have an idea of how I would like to develop it, but I like to get your feedback and suggestions, especially from those that have been in the same position.

Notice that I do not know how much time we are going to have, so I want to cover the most important topics first. Radio shows run at fast pace and usually do not dedicate much time to any topic.

The flow that I have in mind opens the scope to most of the areas that we discusses here, as follows:

Introduction
  1. Typical scope of home automation - Security (alarms, surveillance), entertainment (fully automated/integrated home theater, audio/video distribution), lightning (scenes, etc) and convenience (automatic tasks based on schedule or events/scenarios). There are also some more uncommon uses like telephony, HVAC optimization/control and power/weather/environmental monitoring.
  2. Everything starts with remote control and interfaces - You need to be able to remote control your lights, Home theater, alarm, surveillance system, etc. If they cannot be remote controlled, they can not be integrated and thus you reach a dead end. And example of non-integrated systems are the lights with integrated PIR sensor.
  3. The next step is integration via a central controller. A device, a PC or a combined system (or even various controllers working together). This is the director of the orchestra. While some people become impressed by remote controlling a whole house from a touchscreen, what really sets apart an 'automated' system is that it launches the actions that you need proactively. Without requiring you to press a button or give an order. This is the real challenge.
Example applications for home automation (mix of cool and practical)
  1. Lightning scenes for parties, movies, dinner, reading, etc.
  2. Automate your sprinklers, include moisture sensor to save water during rain days.
  3. Automate pool filters, water heater and HVAC thermostat.
  4. Wake up with a gradual like simulating dawn using indirect light and dimmers.
  5. Check you garage door status and which car is in the garage (thanks BSR!)
  6. Control everything from your smartphone.
The hot topic: Lightning
  1. A quick intro to X-10, and why it is considered by some (included me) as obsolete (limits, security, realiability). However, it is really cheap way to start if you have no other option.
  2. The current proprietary trio: UPB (reliable but expensive), Z-Wave (broadly supported, but might have problems with local architecture of concrete walls and metal gangboxes) and Insteon (good technology, but might not have the market share and support of the others two). Have Insteon construction quality improved?
  3. The future: Zigbee. Like Bluetooth (with profiles), but lower power and mesh network (instead of point-to-point). As a public standard might be slow to start, but is the right thing to do. Look for HA Profile compliance and interoperability. Prices should eventually go down.
A quick review of basic software and hardware systems:
  1. Windows: Homeseer, j9 Automation Engine
  2. Linux: LinuxMCE, Misterhouse
  3. Hardware: M1G, MiCasaVerde's Vera, HAI
  4. The impossibles: Crestron, AMX, Control4
For more info:
  1. Visit www.cocoontech.com
I just noticed that I'm missing a solution for OSX. Need to review the list here.

The show starts at 2:00pm eastern time, but I check your feedback while on air from my iphone. Your suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated.

That sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. One thing I would include is how home automation can help people who are ill or disabled. From simple medication alerts which follow you to allowing someone who can't move to turn lights on/off, there are some good examples on this forum. Good luck and let us know when we can listen ;)

Edit: I would also include an example how TTS can help out a lot.

I would start with answering Why automate questions. What real benefit is it. Then get into the details on What and How and With What. If your story of how you got involved is interesting, then personalize it. Not sure what you mean by "Impossibles".. Crestron and AMX are very possible...just requires investment. For those that want the benefits, and have the money and not the time or expertise, they are great solutions.

1. Why say UPB is reliable but expensive but make no comment about cost on others? You will give the perception that UPB is less affordable and there are ZWave switches that cost more than UPB. Maybe mention neutrals required as opposed no non automated switches?

2. No mention of CQC under software? No offense at all to J9AE but if you are going to mention software at least mention 3 released software packages before beta stuff.

3. Big plug for CT!

Thank you a lot for your feedback. I agree with all your comments.

My audience in general have a constrain of budget and I dont want to sound unreachable to them but want to be fair with the high end solutions too. Notice that the goverment announced more than 15,000 cesations yesterday, and that is the topic everywhere.

No more time to elaborate, but will check here again from behing the mic.

Thanks again to all for your feedback.

The program ran fine yesterday, but apparently the conductor got impressed with one of the articles in our blog regarding Open Source and he decided to focus yesterday's show to that topic.

He liked our participation and invited us to collaborate regularly on the topic of Open Source. I hate to be labeled in a single topic, but I really enjoyed the format of the show. This guy answers technology questions from the public, but since it is impossible to know all topics, he has a staff of about 10 experts in different technology areas. Even that he knows a lot, if he has an expert on the topic on stage he brings that expert to answer. I appreciate a person who does not invent answers on the spot, and recognizes that he cannot know it all.

He also has an interesting social side to his show. He has a section where he calls one of the 78 city majors (yes, we have that many) on live radio and ask them what is he doing on the field of technology innovation in his town or city.

Obviously, with him (and his big staff) you have to proof that you are an expert on the topic. What I'll do is that I'll write a blog entry on Home Automation similar to what we have reviewed here (with your feedback). This should be enough to steer the topic of the next participation to home automation.

Sorry for steering so much out of the core Home Automation topic. I felt that I owed you an explanation.

BTW, I checked and apparently they do not have a streaming feed yet. The show is in Spanish anyway. This is the web page of the conductor of the show, alias Mr. Tech.

Back