So I have been using Martin Jerry switches and flashing them with tasmota utilizing tuya convert.
The switches are dirt cheap. With devicegroups I can now control switches like a three way dimmer for the same price as a regular switch. Its quite effective and works really well. With that said I have A LOT of wifi clients. It could become a problem. I've utilized several nodemcu and esp's for monitoring "things". I have an enclosure I built to control and monitor my garage doors. It works really well - but drops on and off the network a lot. I've put an AP IN the closet with it - but it doesn't really help all that much.
I also installed some ESP's to monitor temperature and humidity and installed an ESP to allow my family to control the garage doors with buttons and have lights next to those buttons to know the state of the garage door. I had this all crammed in a single gang box but then I pulled it out and put it in a closet with some 22/12 wiring running to the switches.
I utilize Home Assistant as the aggregation point.
Interestingly enough I left my HAI Omnipro in my old house. I found a vendor to support it and provided their info to the new owners. That vendor contracts me regularly with questions.
Lastly, I installed wiring for an entire smoke./co2 detectors and with that added some door sensors and motions sensors and bought an Elk M1. Its hanging on the wall but still haven't fired it up. Smokes aren't here - but Im not really looking forward to the incessant beeping every time the door opens
. Its been peaceful not having that going on here.