Home Automation vs. Security

Captain Caveman

Seems to me that automation companies walk a fine line between home automation and a burglar alarm business.

I would like to install the M1 but fear the liability issues of not having an alarm license. I am sure a competitor would just love to turn me in if I cross the line!

For those companies that don't carry an alarm license how do you handle the installation of a product such as the Elk?

And is it difficult to get an alarm license? Here in PA I was so unhappy with my alarm installer (a co. out of NJ) that I fired them and just did it myself. FAR more reliable, I can say. My experience has been that experienced automation experts are very well informed and those with wiring experience (or the ability to hire it) could handle anything an alarm install company could tackle.

I found a local alarm installer to sub-contract all my installations. I then come in and do the Automation programming and automation end.

toymaster458 said:
I found a local alarm installer to sub-contract all my installations. I then come in and do the Automation programming and automation end.
When the client gets the bill is it from you, the alarm company or both?

My state does not allow me to subcontract an alarm installation company unless I have a license myself. Also the alarm installation company can't subcontract work such as pre-wire to a non alarm company.

Both. I am selling an Automation system and the Alarm contrator is installing a Customer owed Alarm System. If there is an alarm or wiring releated issue I call the contractor back for repair and I treat the Automation seperate. The customer knows and in writing that I am selling them an Automation Controller and if they want to use it as an Alarm System it needs to be installed by an License Alarm Contractor. I also use the same contractor for the rest of the wiring and wiring on jobs with no Automation Controller so it is a win win for both.

Back