Home Sureillance Camera - what all is needed?

Those are incredible pics, and the Mobotix cams do have a good reputation. Can you share how (or if) you are recording the video feed?

I have a dedicated file server strictly for storing the video feeds from all my cams. They record 24/7/365. Because of the dynamic schedule a lot of the guys have to work, we decided to just go with a bunch of storage, and just record all the time, rather than try and rely on schedules and/or motion detection triggers (which work great BTW).
Could you elaborate on what type of output it is? Mpeg files or maybe jpg's?

I think this explains it fairly well Monk. I think there are several options for recording type, but we use this one.

http://developer.mobotix.com/mobotix_sdk_1.0.1/docs/how.html

You are comparing apples to oranges. I've yet to see a high quality CMOS security camera.

Mobotix M22, CMOS. Image downsized from original raw image to post on the forum. 30FPS video at same resolution.

073758.jpg

Mobotix D12, CMOS. Dual lens, single cam. Downsized to post. Superior night quality. 30FPS video at same resolution.

130914.jpg
Ok, I guess I've now seen a high quality CMOS camera. It should be high quality for $1000 bucks though. Maybe I should have stated "main stream" cameras. Not many of us DIY'ers buy this quality of camera. They do look good though.

Those are incredible pics, and the Mobotix cams do have a good reputation. Can you share how (or if) you are recording the video feed?

I have a dedicated file server strictly for storing the video feeds from all my cams. They record 24/7/365. Because of the dynamic schedule a lot of the guys have to work, we decided to just go with a bunch of storage, and just record all the time, rather than try and rely on schedules and/or motion detection triggers (which work great BTW).
Could you elaborate on what type of output it is? Mpeg files or maybe jpg's?

I think this explains it fairly well Monk. I think there are several options for recording type, but we use this one.

http://developer.mobotix.com/mobotix_sdk_1.0.1/docs/how.html
That link is too complicated for me :unsure: Really I want to know, on the server where the files are being stored, what type of files are they?
My Toshiba cameras dump thousands of individual .jpg files but I suspect that the Motion Jpeg might be single files that simply grow in size..?

Outdated? The camera you linked is a 30 FPS CMOS camera. $175 for a CMOS camera? A easy way to remember the difference between a CMOS sensor and CCD image sensors is CMOS stands for Can't Make Out Squat. :unsure:
That's becoming less and less true. Many of the megapixel cameras are CMOS and rival the quality of CCD.

Keep in mind the sensor is only one part of the equation in image quality. Optics (lenses) can have a major effect on how good or bad the image is.

Kevin
You are comparing apples to oranges. I've yet to see a high quality CMOS security camera.
I see you saw the Mobotix pix. There are other CMOS Megapixel cameras that give equally good pictures. Yes, they are more expensive than the commodity cameras, but if you spend the money, you don't need CCD to get great video.

Kevin

Back