Home Theater for My Church

compuguru

My church is building a movie theater in their basement (retrofit). We have the projector, an H31 from http://optomahometheater.com. Now we need the sound system. The guy I talked to said that we need 1000 watts peak power for the sound. The projector has a DVI, Composite, S-Video, and Component video inputs.

We would like to hook up a DVD player to the system. I looked at some 1000 watt systens that had a 5-Disc changer built in (Would be nice because we don't have to worry about losing dics). They were great except for that they had no other video inputs, just audio.

So, I am wondering what to get. Our budget is $400. Should I get a THIB with a DVD player, and little room for expansion, or sepeate Amp and speakers which will have more room for expansion? The DVD player is not a necessity because we have one laying around. Could you recommend any models?

Also, I would like to hook up my computer to the projector, but it doesn't have a PC input. Any ideas on how to go about that?

Thanks!

I really love my Onkyo home theater system. It is an audio and video switcher, 1000W setup, and sounds really good (don't remember the model # tho). I paid around $400 for it from eCost.com over a year ago, new. I personally would try to get a seperate DVD player, if you have to, get a cheapo from Wal*Mart.

. . . pretty much a HT neophyte . . . but I am a church going man . . .

. . . are we talking "teen club" movie night or "enlightening presentations" . . . ie: what background noise do you expect ? ? ?

. . . are you going HighDef ? ? ?

. . . surround sound ? ? ? 5.1 or 7.1 ? ? ?

I looked at some 1000 watt systens that had a 5-Disc changer built in (Would be nice because we don't have to worry about losing dics). They were great except for that they had no other video inputs, just audio.

you can use a multi input switch box (like this or similar)

Also, I would like to hook up my computer to the projector, but it doesn't have a PC input. Any ideas on how to go about that?

what outputs does the computer have ? ? ? maybe something that works w/ the switch box mentioned above ? ? ?

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

I'll take a look at Onkyo systems.

As for the questions:
It's most likley going to be used with Sunday School Movies or something such as Veggie Tales. Regular movies would probably be shown less often.

I'd like to go HiDef if possible

I'd like surround sound, the speakers don't matter yet was we haven't wired for them yet.

The computer probably has the regular monitor video out. It looks like I am probably going to have to get a box to convert the signal.

compuguru,

If the video projector truly has a DVI input, you can always get a video card that has both DVI and VGA outputs for the computer. If the video is on the motherboard, install the seperate video card and disable the on-board video in the BIOS. No adpater box necessary!

Chuck

Alright, I'm probably gonna recommend the purchase of the Onkyo HT-S790. It's a bit over the budget, but it's expandable and we only would have to run 1 cable (component) to the projector. Now, I need a component cable and speakerwire. I looked at the component video cables, and they had some pretty expensive ones, but I am looking at this cable. It's inbetween expensive and cheap. My question is, is the extra cost worth it?

Back