Homeseer Resource Page

Intuit has a forced obsolesence program where you MUST buy a new version of their software every 2 years.

Actually, we end up buying new Intuit Quickbooks software every year. Here's why:

1) Payroll table update is only included for the first year. You can buy the subscription for the updates but it costs as much as the software..... Not all of our Quickbooks users need the payroll function but you can't network QB with users using different versions of the software.

2) No, they don't offer upgrade pricing - at least on Quickbooks that I have been able to find.

WayneW said:
In the interest of accuracy:
  • you are never FORCED to buy anything
  • they support 3 versions of their products, the shipping one and 2 prior versions
  • their products start at $29, so 3 years use (or more) for $29 doesn't sound bad
  • they announce & document their retirement plans & policies
  • when they ship a new version and offer an upgrade discount, the product is ready to use then, not a year later.

OK - I stand corrected on the 2 year comment, it is 2.9 years. However:
  • you are never FORCED to buy anything
Wrong. If you download your transactions, you ARE forced to buy the upgrade, or change products altogether.
  • they support 3 versions of their products, the shipping one and 2 prior versions
So? If that is a HomeSeer comparison, then we are currently supporting multiple 1.x versions and multiple 2.x versions. When we retire support for 1.x versions, we will still have multiple 2.x releases that we will support.
  • their products start at $29, so 3 years use (or more) for $29 doesn't sound bad
Then you should LOVE our 7 years for $120 program. $29 originally (even less actually) and a $99 upgrade 5+ years later.
  • they announce & document their retirement plans & policies
You should research this if it is another HS comparison.
  • when they ship a new version and offer an upgrade discount, the product is ready to use then, not a year later.
Ooooh - great jab Wayne, I bet you loved dishing out that one. Unfortunately, wrong again - as soon as I install the latest version of Quicken, I have to download updates to it. Same thing with their other software. Some problems render functionality useless until they address the issue. My guess is that you only use software from companies that produce perfect products every time - does the software your employer produces come out bug free? If so, congratulations - I wish we could say the same but we cannot.

OK, let's pleeeaaaassssssseeeee put the brakes on this one and get back on topic. :)

There are two sides to every story and fortunately we have heard both! Thanks to Tink and Blade for their responses.

I would like to put this to rest out of respect to the OP (Trojan) and get back on topic.

Tink and Blade, please don't be strangers here on CocoonTech! Good to see you both here!

Kindest Regards,

BSR
CocoonTech Moderator

I cast...

DerailThread.png

TrOjAn,

I would have to say that I have already gained some value from your new web page. I had not seen some of those links.

Thanks for creating it.

Sorry for the late post, but I just found the thread.

Tink,

Seems to me like the easiest solution for all would be to remove the MANDATORY price minimum and let plugins be priced at what the market will bear and not force the market.

P.S. I was Bi***er #9

The mandatory price minimum was removed quite a while ago. Mark can send you the policy document if you would like to see it.

Then, as I see it Blade has nothing to complain about (I am not saying he does, verbalized or impied).

Blade,

If you were to return your plugins to the updater and HS's payment method, at the price of your choosing, would this all go away and we can get back to automating as a happy family again? Or are there deeper forces at work that I do not see. Feel free to tell me to shut up and color.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I'm interested in his (Blade's) Ninja Pan & Tilt plugin. B)
BSR,

You will need the CM19 USB device, if you have it then it will work great... you will need to update the driver though, M$ update ;) but its painless.

TrOjAn

MeSteve said:
Sorry for the late post, but I just found the thread.

Tink,

Seems to me like the easiest solution for all would be to remove the MANDATORY price minimum and let plugins be priced at what the market will bear and not force the market.

P.S. I was Bi***er #9
MESTEVE.

Its finnished !!

Now were in repair mode so lets not kick it about anymore please ;)

TrOjAn

Back