HomeSeer Talk with the Z-Wave Vera Lite Controller/Intermatic Switch Q's

BraveSirRobbin

I've done some searching and am still wondering if HomeSeer can talk with the Vera Light
controller. I might have an application where I need a "stand alone"
system, but would want the flexibility of adding HomeSeer in the future.

Would I have to purchase an additional controller to interface the future HomeSeer computer? Is this the best strategy?

I'm also wondering which Z-Wave dimmer switch to use and was looking into the Intermatic CA600
line as it seems to be the less expensive. I don't think it requires a
neutral wire either, but some have reported lights flickering and
coming on by themselves, especially if the bulb is not incandescent.

The Intermatic switches are cheap for a reason.  If you want a frustration-free experience, I would invest in the better line (e.g., Vizia).

As for the driver, in theory, it isn't difficult to write the driver, but I don't think anyone has attempted anything more than basic control.  I might write one in the future, once things settle down, but won't be for a while.

Ive just done pretty much what you've asked, Im running HS and looking at a vera in the near future.
Vera can trigger a HTTP command open an event, I've written a asp page that runs under HS, it reads the paramaters passed to it and will update/read the status of a device in HS
Eg to read a value Id execute
http://192.168.100.100/veraconnect.asp?type=get&deviceID=A6

To set a value
http://192.168.100.100/veraconnect.asp?type=set&deviceID=A6&value=new%20value

The Vera already has a concept of using HTTP GET commands to trigger events, so on HS you could call a script that would run
wget http://VERAIP:pORT/URLSTRING
And an event would trigger.

Cheers

Would you mind sharing your ASP page/script for those of us who'd like to do something similar?

Thanks!

Why would you continue to run Vera when you purchase Homeseer?  Just for the built in Zwave radio?  You'd be better off eliminating Vera when you purchased Homeseer, things will be much less complex.

I have a Vera now and it's great.  I doubt there is anything Homeseer can do that Vera cannot.  Although, with Vera, you might have to write some LUA to get it to do more complex things.  Some of the recent plugins for it eliminate that though (e.g. the Program Logic plugins from Rich Schaeffer).  Those program logic plugins are very powerful.  You can even use them to determine someone's walking direction with a couple of motion sensors.

Well, I use HomeSeer (presently) to perform integration with disparate systems that will not natively talk to each other.  For instance I want my sprinkler system to not turn on if freezing and windy, so I need to somehow have a device that can read/control both of those components (serial devices btw).

I have multiple systems here and yes, it would be nice to integrate and start out with ones that will natively be compatible with one controller; but, for me, that is cost prohibitive.  This also gives me a chance to play around with Z-Wave technology without disturbing my main automation system, which presently consists of older units such as an Ocelot, Davis Weather Station, Axis Video Encoders, NetCallerID Box, PH Anderson Analog to Digital Board, as well as an Elk M1 and X-10 for automation as well as DS10a external sensors (with a WGL 800 receiver).  HomeSeer is one of a few pieces of software which will talk with ALL of those devices and let me integrate them on an as needed basis (as I try to do critical tasks/communications with the units themselves).

Yes, the Vera can also be set to communicate with a few of those components (Elk M-1) but that is for future investigation as time permits.  I would ultimately like to not rely on a PC at all and use just one controller for access (that could talk with other controllers) in the future.

signal15 said:
Why would you continue to run Vera when you purchase Homeseer?  Just for the built in Zwave radio?  You'd be better off eliminating Vera when you purchased Homeseer, things will be much less complex.

I have a Vera now and it's great.  I doubt there is anything Homeseer can do that Vera cannot.  Although, with Vera, you might have to write some LUA to get it to do more complex things.  Some of the recent plugins for it eliminate that though (e.g. the Program Logic plugins from Rich Schaeffer).  Those program logic plugins are very powerful.  You can even use them to determine someone's walking direction with a couple of motion sensors.
Once nice thing about the Vera (depending on how you look at it) is that it allowed you to remotely access the devices without having to open up your firewall.  I personally have Homeseer and Vera as well, but don't have them linked yet.  Ideally, I would like to use the Vera as my main Z-Wave interface, but as far as I know, no one has written such driver for HomeSeer.

Back