Housebot

Wow I missed that as well.... so does Housebot have a GUI client frontend like Netremote or Mainlobby/MusicLobby. I thought that was what Meedio was used for....

Hmmm

John

jwilson56 said:
Wow I missed that as well.... so does Housebot have a GUI client frontend like Netremote or Mainlobby/MusicLobby. I thought that was what Meedio was used for....

Hmmm

John
Yep, they call them software remotes.

jwilson56 said:

Hmmm

John
Yes, HouseBot has a pretty nice theme designer for creating UIs that can be run on a variety of devices from WinCE 2.11 on up to WinXP. These 'software remotes' provide 2-way real-time monitoring and control over the HouseBot server. In terms of general usage scenarios Meedio Essentials/TV was more similar to MCE while HouseBot is more similar to CQC.

jwilson56 said:

Hmmm

John
Yeah the clients are similar in look to Mainlobby, CQC, and Xlobby. They have clients (called Software remotes) for several PDAs, and for Windows. Meedio's GUI wass seperate from Housebots as they were not integrated, only owned by the same company. Meedio's look was similar to that of Sage/MCE/Myth/Freevo.

Terry

Edit: I've got to start typing faster, I see both e and Alan beat me to the answer. ;) :)

Thanks for the replies.... I was bummed thinking that Housebot didn't have a GUI client anymore. Glad to hear that it does. I guess I will take a look at Housebot now as a replacement for Now Playing (NR/HS).

John

John, slightly OT, but why the swap from NetRemote? Figured it all out and now need a new challenge? (wouldn't be a hobby if not :angry: )

Well I am just looking at the options. I have not gotten HS2 stable yet and besides this is a hobby so why not look at whats out there.

John

I am also looking at Housebot as a possible replacement for HS2. After buying a nice fast machine (well, it was fast a year and a half ago) for all my HA stuff and upgrading from HS 1.7, HS2 seems to have become a major hog and doesn't play nice with other programs, the machine loses time with HS2 running, etc. I want to run other programs on my HA machine!

I haven't checked it out extensively, but I like the extensibility designs built into Housebot. I'll report when I've had time to play with it more.

Well it looks like HB does not have a great music interface. That is something that NR does well. Does anyone know if HB can talk with Girder?

John

I actually don't want an HA system that tries to be media server. As long as I can use it to control my Slimserver I am happy and I assume I can do that with a combination of button triggered batch files plus the ability to view the Slimserver browser interface.

For music/media in general; it seems as though most people using Housebot still use the older, pre-Yahoo Meedio product. AFAIK there are plugins that allow control from both directions (Meedio controlling Housebot, and Housebot controlling Meedio) You can still find the Last version of Meedio if you dig a little. Just before it was sold, Meedio made it a free product, but I think it was only available for a few days like that... I'm not sure if the plugins will work with the Yahoo-branded version, but as it's mostly a re-themed version of the old right now, I would suspect that it would work.

Jwilson56, I use Xlobby with Winamp currently and I am running 4 different zones of audio from one server with it. It works well for media control, but the HA portion of it is almost non existent, you'd need Powerhome, or MisterHouse, or similar for HA functions.

Terry

Back