Housebot

So Scott what are the chances of getting Netremote to have two way Girder communications with Housebot?
You can control HouseBot from external apps using the "external control" plugin. It allows you to call a standalone EXE to control HB, similar to the EXE that HB uses to control girder.

However, the command interface is limited to simply getting and setting property values in HB (and a few other things as well), but I'm not sure if you could do much library replication with it. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Girder or any media player besides WinAmp to offer much helpful advice.

As far as you question about Netremote and Girder, I know even less about Netremote than Girder.

Scott,

Is there any chance of adding support for JRMC? I really think that adding support for JRMC would make HB a complete package.

electron said:
Is there any chance of adding support for JRMC? I really think that adding support for JRMC would make HB a complete package.
Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth to work on any new plugins right now. I'm slowly chipping away at the next version. Sooner or later it will support JRMC, whether I do it or another user. Thanks for the vote.

TonyNo said:
I have posted this on the PH forum regarding my HB-as-a-front-end trial so far.
Just a question,

Why would you want to control some HA software like PH with another HA software like HB? It seems to me HB can do most of the things PH can do.
I read your posting @ PH. Regarding tasks; if you continue using HB, you will find the script device much more powerfull and almost limitless in it's capabilities. Tasks are nice to setup simple things and progduce triggers, but the really complicated stuff (such as your recursive loop problems) can more easily be handled using scripting.

Why would you want to control some HA software like PH with another HA software like HB?
For the same reasons that someone would use MainLobby as a front-end to HS. :D

if you continue using HB, you will find the script device much more powerfull and almost limitless in it's capabilities
I don't want to use VBScript if I can help it. The point of this excecise is to escape all of the coding I do now for a web-based font-end. Plus, I have the complicated stuff already done in PH.

My retransmission/looping problem was solved with a little help from ScottBot. He was very responsive and I now have HB running in place of HS2.1 here. I'm slowly fleshing it out with more capabilities. I might even have to buy it if I get everything working by the end of my 30-day trial! ;-)

I bought it. Going away for a week, and leaving the house "lived in" is such a simple task for HB. . . my trial was going to expire in the middle of the week, and the "nag" screen kept the server from recovering from power outages. . . . its only $59, a no-brainer really.

Just doing simple stuff so far, scraping weather, controlling X-10 lighting in bunches. . lots more on the way though!

Markd

Hello,

Wondering whether Housebot is no more an underdog or is on to something? Or have missed any important announcement!!!

1. very few users can be seen online on Housebot forum.
2. very few posts in the past 2 or 3 months.
3. The last post I saw from Scottbot on the Housebot forum is from April 17th.
4. A newer version was supposed to be released but I don't see any activity at all on the Housebot's webisite or in forum.

For less than $100, Housebot appers to be the best application for my needs and requirements but lack of forum activity scares me.
Any one has any insight?

Regards,
Shaurya

The Housebot forum is definitely low-volume as far as the number of posts. Don't read that as a dead or dying product, however. HB is alive and kicking. Most of the people will only post if they have a specific problem, and to be honest, there simply aren't that many problems with Housebot. Scott is working horribly long hours on a new version - I'll leave the details of that for him to explain (He is a member of CT).

Personally, I haven't found anything that I couldn't do with Housebot. Like most other apps it has built in logic for doing most stuff, and what functionality isn't there can be extended either through VBscript or through custom plugins. It has wonderful "Swremotes" that give you that tasty touchscreen GUI like some of the big boys. The swremotes run on x86 PCs, as well as Windows PDAs with MIPS or ARM processors (most have one or the other). It supports Insteon, zwave, and of course X10. Everything was developed in C++ so the code is very tight and runs just fine on "yesterdays" hardware. My personal HB server runs Windows 2003 server and is a 833MHz P3 with 256 MB of ram - it's been up over a year without a reboot.

I'd recommend that anyone looking at HA software take a look at HouseBot. I think whoever tries it will be surprised at the amount of "bang for the buck" they get. If you do have a question, be sure to post it on the forum, usually you'll get an answer back pretty quickly.

Terry

I'm still happy with it. . . as Terry says, there aren't too many problems, it does a bunch native, and with a little VBscript, it does plenty more. Probably half the times I've posted a question, the answer was in the documentation. ;-) Note that the SWremotes can use VERY light machines too. No fancy video accelerators needed. I have some Intermec 5055B touch PCs that I am using-

- Processor: AMD 333mhz
- Memory: 128MB
- Video RAM: 2 MB

Markd

Bumping the thread up to see if someone from cocoontech has tried the new version. Would love to hear the feedback.

Moderators please delete the post if I am not supposed to bump up the thread.

Regards,
Shaurya

Back