How do I reset master code for Omni Pro II ?

You still need the encryption code to log in. Do you really want a security system that is that easy to break into???

Not too long ago here I did help another HAI OPII user in a similiar situation.    

I made a simple request of a favor in return (thinking it was purchasing his non returnable firmware chips - not even asking for them for free) and actually was on the phone with the gentlemen while I was working on the panel for some hour or so. 

That said the person never replied to my follow up emails and I never saw him on this forum again; which kind of irritated me a bit. 

Hello pete_c, are you implying anything here? Because of one "bad apple" we should not help each other?

Or are you in favor of us spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on servicemen who take advantage of tge situation? really when it is a simple DIY thing?

If I get help from you or others beyond a simple forum advice, you can rest assured I'll find a way to appreciate your effort.

ig

Not at all ig.  I am basically just stating what happened a few months ago to me. 

I don't you other than your 9 posts on the forum; so there is no reason for me to make any implications one way or another.

It was only one personal experience out of many similiar positive experiences over the last few years.

I am not in favor of spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on simple DIY stuff. 

Well guys, I need to eat a little bit of crow here.

To connect via serial, you need to know what the "Code 1" code is, also called the "Master Code".  This is different than the installer code... but if you don't know *any* of the codes, you are SOL.

The testing I was doing here had the codes still at default, and I was changing the installer code, not paying attention to the user codes, hence why I was having no problems.

Relevant HAI KB article about it: http://kb.homeauto.com/default.asp?id=736&SID=&Lang=1

This also keeps someone from "hijacking" your panel with just a laptop with PC Access.

All, thank you for your advice so far. I decided to find and contact original installers to see if they have the code. If/when I get it, I might come back to tap your collective brain on the best approach to enable control from iPhone.

thx,
ig

I know this is an old thread but it still comes up when searching how reset the master code.

Easiest solution - send the controller board to Leviton and they will reset everything for you. Just need to pay shipping to them that's it!

I know this is a very old thread but I thought others might benefit from this information about the Omni Pro II.

If you have access to an EPROM programmer then finding the installer's code is very straightforward and easy. The Omni Pro II uses a 28c256 256k EEPROM that, as we all know, has no facility for encryption. All system data stored bitwise is in clearview.

Power down the system and pull the 28c256 EEPROM. it is the only socketed chip on the board. Place it in your EPROM programmer and read it.

Address 0x2859 contains the first 2 digits and address 0x285A contains the last 2 digits of the installer code.

After gleaning this information, reinstall the EEPROM and power the system back up.

WARNING: DO not attempt to change the contents of the EEPROM using your programmer. If the system data is checksummed then the Omni PRO II might simply crash, factory default, or some other undesirable behavior. Always use the system itself to make any changes to the chip data.

My programmer is USB running Windows software, model GQ-4x4 sold by mcumall.com. I use it a lot in my old arcade game hobby but I've also used it for discovering codes on alarm panels like the Interlogix Concord 4 and this one.

I know this is a very old thread but I thought others might benefit from this information about the Omni Pro II.

If you have access to an EPROM programmer then finding the installer's code is very straightforward and easy. The Omni Pro II uses a 28c256 256k EEPROM that, as we all know, has no facility for encryption. All system data stored bitwise is in clearview.

Power down the system and pull the 28c256 EEPROM. it is the only socketed chip on the board. Place it in your EPROM programmer and read it.

Address 0x2859 contains the first 2 digits and address 0x285A contains the last 2 digits of the installer code.

After gleaning this information, reinstall the EEPROM and power the system back up.

WARNING: DO not attempt to change the contents of the EEPROM using your programmer. If the system data is checksummed then the Omni PRO II might simply crash, factory default, or some other undesirable behavior. Always use the system itself to make any changes to the chip data.

My programmer is USB running Windows software, model GQ-4x4 sold by mcumall.com. I use it a lot in my old arcade game hobby but I've also used it for discovering codes on alarm panels like the Interlogix Concord 4 and this one.
Thanks for this information.

I don't have an Omni but for our members out there that might want to do this, would they get THIS model (uses a 40-pin Zif socket)? This would be worth (IMHO) a $93 investment if it meant getting into a locked system.

I was able to get the master code testing here with a new configuration using PCA (old and new) connected serially to the OmniPro 2 panel. I did not put in any master code and just downloaded configuration. With old PCA the master code is read serially and on the top of the list.

The test was done here:

1 - OS W2003 running on an Oracle Virtual box
2 - serial connection to OmniPro 2 panel
3 - PCA Version 2.16 (not for use to program the OmniPro 2 panel today) - old licensed version.
4 - run PCA and connect it serially to the panel
5 - configure NEW on PCA
6 - read the configuration from the panel. No master code is required to read the configuration. I never did get a prompt to enter any codes.
7 - it downloads the master code and shows up on the top of the list of codes. It comes up in a table of codes and it is code 1. It never prompted me to enter master code which is different from what I have read here:

Serial Lockout
Question:
Will a serial lockout occur if too many invalid attempts are made?

Answer:
Yes. When Leviton controllers are accessed via RS-232 (serial) connections, the software application is required to establish a secure connection by matching Code 1 (Master) in the controller with Code 1 in the software. If the codes do not match, an error "PLEASE CORRECT USER CODE 1" will be displayed.

If three invalid attempts are made with the wrong code, serial access is denied for 1 hour. Subsequent attempts within this one hour lockout will restart the one hour lockout timer.

To reset the lockout, simply power down the controller, both battery and AC, for a few seconds and power back up.

You do not see this with PCA Version 3.X and the master code is buried in the configuration.
8 - NOTE I did not have to put any codes into PCA to download the configuration with a serial wire connected to the panel. Just set the baud rate on the serial connection configuration. It will show online then download the configuration of the panel. There is a code configured to run PCA and mine has always been blank.

Best test would be to change your master code and try the above again. I am looking now in the original PCA software to see if the base master code is embedded there. "1111".

Will dig up an old parallel cable rom burner that I have here some place.

Last edited:

Thanks for this information. I also use a GQ-4x4. It works well.
There is one brute force way to clear the master code back to default. On any of the eprom omni boards (anything but the 5 serial port boards), install an old
version eprom. The board will default the codes. I assume the older versions store info in different locations on the EEPROM. I tried it on a number of boards I had that I didn't have the installer code and it worked every time. I believe I used a very old version like 2.5 and the test boards were running 3.x or 4..... I don't remember if any programming was preserved, I would assume not.

Last edited:
The old version of PCA 2.16 I used did read the new 4.X board but probably didn't get all of the higher level stuff. I have a few programmers with parallel ports from the BUD days of tinkering with my Houston Tracker BUDs.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information.

I don't have an Omni but for our members out there that might want to do this, would they get THIS model (uses a 40-pin Zif socket)? This would be worth (IMHO) a $93 investment if it meant getting into a locked system.

That's the one. It can read/program all ROMs, EPROMs, EAROMS, and EEPROMs from the late 70s onward, PALs, GALs, etc as long as the security bit isn't set. It can't do the old bipolar ROMs from the early days so you're not going to be able to read/write the old Ademco 610 dialer PROM, oh well. :)

As long as you are just reading the memory contents then USB power is sufficient. You only need the plug in transformer when writing to some devices.

It's a quick setup on the jobsite with a laptop.

Incidentally, it can be used to program a blank 28c256 with the OMNI's latest software, whatever it may be.

Back