How many IP devices do you have?

jkmonroe

I added another Dropcam today.  Seems like a benign thing to do, but it managed to grind my home network to an absolute crawl.  So I dug down to see what was going on, and was really surprised by the sheer number of IP devices I have connected.

But I have over 50 IP devices.  50.  For 2 adults and an infant.  The vast majority are related to my HA setup; things like Sonos, the Hue Bridge, my touchscreen tablets, Nest, etc...

Now, my home network consists of an Apple Airport Extreme, a Meraki MS220-8P switch, and a Meraki MR-18 N AP.  (I do not use the WiFi on the Airport, and am fully aware that it is my weak link; it is to be replaced by a Meraki MX64.)  Outside of the Airport, the equipment is solidly in the business-class, but I think I am over the threshold for what it is capable of handling.

My current thought is to add a second MR-18 to dedicate to the HA equipment, but I wanted to poll the group to see how others have handled similar issues.

What do you guys do?

Links to equipment:

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms220-8

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wireless/mr18

Here started with what I assumed would be more than I needed.  That is not so today. 

Initially subnet was using a 25 bit mask for around 126 computers.  I did go mostly with static IP addressing with a tiny DHCP scope at the upper end of the subnet. 

I initially grouped types of devices, static IPs and their names an used a spreadsheet to keep track of the addresses.

I have 6 wireless AP's running but use only one wireless AP (Ubuiquti) for "production" and the other 5 are to play with (well 802.11 AC lately - not impressed - Gb Wireless is a dud so far).  There are some neato wireless network diagnostic tools built right into the Ubiquiti wireless OS.  (historically have replaced wireless OS's in SOHO APs cuz they ....)

I do have today more than one network going mostly for testing automation stuff as I prefer not to mix my stuff up.  I have added multiple interfaces in and out of my PFSense firewall over the last year. 

I had migrated to Gb a few years back (multiple 24 port Gb switches) and more recently have gone to managed Gb switches.  I am also now using a managed midstream 24 port POE (Tycon Power) switch. (I have used rack sized Cisco switches/APs as that was my old world and over the years now using reasonably priced TP-Link passively cooled managed switches which work well for me now).  Many folks today just build a 1 - to 1/2 sized height rack and put all of their stuff on the rack on wheels which works fine too. (IE: server(s), switches, UPS et al).  A friend went with all Control 4 stuff and its all on one rack in the basement utility room (with 9 foot ceilings) sitting adjacent to the water heater / HVAC lower unit in a 7-8k sf home (well geez and she lives by herself there).

Thinking mostly 3rd party professional automation installers utilize commercial grade equipment / sell service contracts versus the DIY keeping costs at a minimum person doing automation in their home.  I am the only service contract in my home for my stuff.

I did home run all of my LV wiring to one location (well two adjacent locations).  This make it easier to manage network wise.

That said I am guessing you know that all of the wireless devices connecting to one AP share the bandwidth of the network connection to the switch.  You can mitigate that per wireless device QOS per wireless deviice if you want; easy peasey.

Gets to a point though of excess baggage when you utilize wireless multimedia devices and add multiple streaming HD stuff (well like cameras).   Here my XBMC Buntu devices run at 1Gb streaming live / recorded stuff.

This abundance in network traffic initially hit my Leviton HAI OPII panel with a 20 year old technology promiscuous network interface turning my panel disfunctional (affected the CPU on the device taking down my serial stuff).  I created a new autonomous network just for the panel and its been working fine today for me. 

You can do VLANs but all of that still hits the back plane of whatever switch it is you are using and those little CPUs in the switches can only do so much.

I have roughly 18-20 devices; I don't have any of the... Sonos, the Hue Bridge, Nest devices, etc.

For me it's router, switches, computers, laptops, servers, tablets, phones, OTA tuners, SageTV Extenders, AVR, Apple TV, Elk XEP, Smart TV...

You hit the 50 device limit in the AirPort. Not only is it consumer grade, it's poorly implemented consumer grade. I've always hated the AirPort.

Now go get yourself a commercial class router for about $200 (the kind without the built in WiFi) :)

Personally here utilize PFSense. It is utilized and sold commercially with support.

For the home it is a combo router / firewall do what on steroids. You can build one instead of purchasing one using all solid state transistors.

https://pfsense.org/

For wireless here utilize Unbiquiti POE connected AP

I'm somewhere in the 30s.

Mostly using consumer-grade stuff here. AirPort Extreme, netgear switches, older AirPort Extreme as an additional access point.

I've made a sting effort to remain as hardwired as humanly possible. I'm pretty much outgrowing my structured wiring cabinet and given how happy I am with my rack in the media room, I'm getting ready to transfer to a small rack instead.

I've run into many problems with low end consumer grade network equipment. Especially since I grew up in a lab with everything from DDS to 40G circuits and the equipment to support them . You quickly learn the value of VLANS and IP over IP in a dynamic lab setup. :)

For my home use I'm still buying consumer grade just spending a little bit more to get better equipment when needed (Ubiquiti router, managed switches but low end APs with OpenWRT). I don't like most all in one network devices.

Right now I'm on a 23 bit network and using several RFC1918 ranges (in-house stuff). I don't have my IPv6 up at the moment. I thank Juniper for that (grrr!). I have 222 addresses reserved (DHCP) but I'd say at least half need to be retired. I really need to get this into a db and then I can clear up properly. I have my own internal DNS for the devices, I'm not going to even try to memorize all those addresses (though I do recall most).

So it's apparent that I went in the opposite direction of most here - I prefer wireless to wired.  My equipment is top notch, and I am currently running the RF Analyzer from the Meraki, so it's possible that the issue is wireless interference.  Maybe the new Dropcam is broken and flooding the spectrum?  I dunno, but when the wife starts complaining, shit has to get done quickly.  :)

It's also pretty apparent that 50 devices is below average.  I still have another floor to finish automating, so fixing these issues will be critical moving forward, slow Netflix aside.

All Cisco here for wired...RV325 for the router, SG200-26, SG200-10FP, and 3 of the little 5 port switches where I don't have enough home runs.  All ports are full and static (or at least assigned for devices that won't allow static assignment of their IP)

Using a TimeCapsule in bridge mode for WiFi and an airport express as a wireless bridge to improve signal on the other end of the house...want to get a better APs, but funding has not been approved by my dear CFO...been looking at the UniFis.  

pete_c said:
Are you referring here to security, automation and multimedia all connected to one AP?

Yep.  For the most part.

'Security' doesn't use my wifi at all.  But yes for the rest.

40+, at least 30 of them are hard wired devices. Sonicwall TZ 190, Netgear 24 port Pro Safe Smart Switch and a couple of smaller switches, use Ubiquiti Access Points for wifi, Network works great nearest house is about 600 feet away so no problems with neighbors interfering with my setup.

jkmonroe said:
So it's apparent that I went in the opposite direction of most here - I prefer wireless to wired.
I prefer wired for heavy traffic (backbone, APs, multimedia servers) and wireless for things that move about (2 APs, and a wireless bridge). If it's important, it's on the wired!

Someone is lucky with no local wireless neighbors. Normally I can see 25 - 30 APs, during thunder storms I can upwards of 90 APs (yes that's weird and no they're not strong). For the normal neighbors most seem to like Ch. 6 :) I've been able to fit nicely on other channels without too much trouble.

linuxha said:
I prefer wired for heavy traffic (backbone, APs, multimedia servers) and wireless for things that move about (2 APs, and a wireless bridge). If it's important, it's on the wired!

My media setup is a little strange - I have a Tivo Roamio w/ 6 tuners, and 4 Tivo Mini's.  They stream my live and DVR'd HDTV, and each provide Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, On-Demand, and on 20.4.8 will have Plex.  The Tivo Roamio itself is wired, but the Mini's are all connected using MoCA.  The Tivo Roamio does it all built-in, as well as streaming to my iPhone, which is really nice.  My server is also wired once Plex is available.

BUT, I found my wireless culprit.  Apparently my wife plugged in a baby monitor, and when that thing is trying to work, the ENTIRE network comes down.  I didn't put two and two together, but I was installing the Dropcam in the baby's room while she was hooking up the monitor, and I assumed (i know, i know) that the Dropcam was my problem.

:nutz:

Back